Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Accidentally disengaged front driveshafts?

knicko

Country Flag
uk
Whilst replacing upper and lower front ball joints (still ongoing actually...) I think I may have inadvertently pulled the front driveshafts out on both sides.

I had already replaced the lower ball joints and track rod ends, and hand tightened both, so the bottom of the hub was held in place, but I had the top arms off the upper wishbones. As I pulled the arm outwards to get some room to work on removing the upper ball joints, the driveshaft felt like it slipped out of its splines. The inner driveshaft boot stretched out but remained in place.

I pushed the hub back inwards and wiggled the driveshaft by hand to line up the splines and it all appears ok, I think.

This happened on both the N/S and O/S.

I am wondering whether this will have popped oil seals or some other unseen problem.

Still fighting with the upper ball joints so can't test drive the vehicle at this point.

Can anyone advise please?

Whilst replacing upper and lower front ball joints (still ongoing actually...) I think I may have inadvertently pulled the front driveshafts out on both sides.

The inner end of each front driveshaft has the three-bearing "Tripod Joint" splined on to it.

The "Tripod" runs in a tulip-shaped drive cup that is designed to allow the Tripod Bearings to move in and out as the front suspension moves.

You have simply pulled the Tripods out of their housings, then popped them back in, there is nothing retaining them other than the distance from the front diff to the back of the wheel hub.

Don't worry about it - see the diagram here:

90FrontDriveshaft.jpg
Bob.

Out of interest then... if I had wanted to take the whole hub off to get the old ball joints out with a machine press, I could have snipped the retaining strap on the inner rubber boot and pulled the whole hub and shaft off the vehicle without losing diff oil (obviously assuming the top & bottom ball joints were first separated, track rod ends disconnected and ABS cable/brake lines disconnected) ?

Out of interest then... if I had wanted to take the whole hub off to get the old ball joints out with a machine press, I could have snipped the retaining strap on the inner rubber boot and pulled the whole hub and shaft off the vehicle without losing diff oil (obviously assuming the top & bottom ball joints were first separated, track rod ends disconnected and ABS cable/brake lines disconnected) ?

Yes - That's what happens when the lower ball joint fails :lol:.

The upper balljoint can be difficult to remove as the 'Steering Knuckle' is a bit thin and springy. Hitting the ball joint (after removing the locking ring) just makes the fitting jump.

I removed mine completely and laid the top of the steering knuckle across the opened jaws of a large vice to give it support. It knocked out quite easily when hit against a solid surface.

Bob.

Back