Accommodation help - London

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Hi all

Looks like I may be working in central London for the next 6 months. Closest commuting station will be Liverpool Street.

I'm going to be looking for furnished accommodation that's easily commutable but doesn't cost a bomb.

Can anyone suggest areas to consider and help narrow my search down a bit? Looking for studio / single bedroom type place, up to about an hour distant I guess ...

Many thanks

Gary

Howzit Gary,

Lots (most?) of us Saffas seem to live in the south-west corridor - so the District Line to Wimbledon or the SW Train line from Waterloo out to say Epsom or Chessington. The train (SW Trains) into Waterloo is pretty quick - 20-30 minutes depending on the route (express or stopping at every station) from some of the further out places, so not bad. There is a one-stop tube from Waterloo to Bank which is quick although rather crowded at rush hour :roll: Depending on where you're working at Liv. Pool St, a walk from Bank to LPS is nothing major (<10 mins). So from zone 4 or 5 I reckon you could get to LPS within 45 mins. I don't have a visa or riot gear for north London so couldn't offer any thoughts on that area...

So if you want to join the rest of "us" and enjoy the delights of SA shops all over the place, then have a look at the south-west! I'm sure Ryan, Crispin, Tony etc will chime in for North London :shifty:

In terms of accommodation, most rental places seem to come furnished, so you don't need to worry too much on that score. You do get what you pay for to an extent, so at the lower end of the rental prices, the furnishings can be pretty ropey. Obviously the further out you live, the further your money will go.

Give me ring or mail me if you want more info/opinion/ideas on rental costs - don't want to write much more of an essay unless required :liar:

Cheers,

A vote for North London from me ;)

Plenty of 1 bed and studio accommodation in West Hampstead, Finchley Rd & Finchley Central.

Acton might be worth a look too, and will mean a single central line to Liverpool St :)

Gotta point out the obvious Gary, sorry. But with the hosting of the Olympics, accom is at a premium not just for affleets, but all sorts of people associated with the games and their prep. Prices are moving. People are even renting caravans on their driveways.

Mind you just read Kevin's post, if there is space around Wembley area, perhaps the games are not as interesting as we think :clap:

Chris

Our neighbour has a lodger who is doing the same as you. IIRC, he is paying about 100 a week. For me into Liverpool st is about 45 minutes so living central is not really worth it.

Worth looking into.

Sent from TapaTalk

Thanks for all the advice - flat now sorted, in Lewisham, for a nice price. Isn't family wonderful?? Just need to finalise the job offer, then I'm off from Auld Reeky to The Big Smoke for a while. Can't say I'm looking forward to it overly much :roll:

But a job is a job as they say ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agreed being in central London is not overly appealing but there is quite a vibe in the City during the week after work. I am relocating offices to Bank next weekend, so can meet up for regular drinks after work, just to make sure you're settling in, Gary :twisted:

oh good - 15 minute walk to Bank for me - sounds cool! Let you know when I'm there!

Bank is not so far from me. I'm at St Pauls and a London Landcruiser session could become a regular event if there was interest? :obscene-drinkingcheers:

SimonD said:
Bank is not so far from me. I'm at St Pauls and a London Landcruiser session could become a regular event if there was interest? :obscene-drinkingcheers:
I'm interested, even though Cruiserless at the mo :cry:

:thumbup: I'll be up for a beers evening in town..

Funny, takes a northerner to move souf to encourage a meet, and he is not even here yet!

Back on topic, have to say I am not a big fan of Lewisham. Worked there for a few years, and glad I don't have to go back there.

Happy to do a London B&B - or at least a drink - when I get there!

No real choice re Lewisham, Tony - brother-in-law is letting me have it below market rates ... And it seems reasonably central for my needs at the moment.

Guess I may move to something else once I have my bearings ...

Lewisham is fine for access to the east side of the city, which Liverpool St falls into. But I hope your 6 months are over before the Olympics start :whistle:

OK, so I'm here in London now. Bloody hell - way different to Slaapstad or Auld Reekie :lol:

Anyway, going home tomorrow for R&R, back on Monday, but anyone fancy meeting up say next Thursday somewhere near Bank / London Bridge underground stations for a pint and yack?

:cool:

Yes definitely, give me a shout.. I'm at canary wharf but live at lime house so all very close
I want to find out lots more about Namibia as plans are taking shape now :)

I'll be up for that too, time and place?

Ok - will bring some maps etc back with me for you to [strike:oao70trj]perve over[/strike:oao70trj] peruse :lol:

Gary, I stay over in Victoria sometimes. I'll give you a shout next time. I know an Argentinian restaurant that only serves meat. :thumbup:

Chris

Sounds good :thumbup: I had my 1st day in my new office at Bank today. I think I was easy to spot - the only person not wearing a suit :lol:

I can have a look around tomorrow eve for any suitable spots as I think we're having "office-warming" drinks...

Is the Argentinian restaurant like the Brazilian ones where they just keep bringing meat to the table and carve bits off for you?

Back