Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ACSD leaking

tonyoakey

I have diesel leaking from my ACSD, I have seen many posts about blanking it off but am worried about the timing issues associated with this mod, can I just replace it with a new one? Anyone know part no.s and cost? Also I've seen bosh part no.s for a blanking plate but mine is a Denso pump, is that usual?
Cheers.

The main ACSD body is sealed with just an o ring which your local bearing stockist should be able to match from the original. I don't know about the spindle seals but if you think the leak is here you should be able to strip and do the same. No point in buying a new one or removing it.

The water pipes connected to it should be resecured with small screw type hose clips because if you use the original spring clips they leak as they do not bed down in the exactly the position they came off as the hose is harder and more dented than a new hose.

About 1/4 pint of diesel will pour out when you remove it.

A torch and mirror will help you see the screw heads.

Frank

Its relatively easy to replace... just tricky to get to the bolts (through wheel arch works well). I just pulled parts until I could get to it, dropped around a litre of fuel (not a problem unless you're only expecting a small dribble! :whistle:) and a little coolant... but it was only a couple of hours (I work slowly)...

A new part (no 22790-17590) cost iro £250-300 from Mr T (albeit with a discount), but maybe worth seeing if Jon can help source one...

The ACSD (aka ThermoWax Unit) can be blanked off fairly easily and a cover plate can be bought or made, but it will effect your pump timing if you don't replace it.

I had another major leak from my Governor Cover so may be worth ruling that one out first - which was iro £6...

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ThermoWaxUnit.jpg
    ThermoWaxUnit.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 668
The main ACSD body is sealed with just an o ring which your local bearing stockist should be able to match from the original. I don't know about the spindle seals but if you think the leak is here you should be able to strip and do the same.

Just to add to this - they can also leak down the shaft of the rod which supports the large spring. But best to try and replace the o-ring first...

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure who Jon is, but would like to get in touch to see if he can help find one. Ill try and change the o ring first but suspect I need to replace the unit. Cheers!

Sorry - That would be Jon Wildsmith.... one of the great ELCO guru's.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tony the unit itself cannot leak it may even not come with the o ring you need! When I took mine off to have a look I used the original o ring with silicone sealer. Degrease well though.

The spindle on the unit may leak but it is easy to take this apart and fit new seals.

Frank

Back