Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Adding 2 Stroke Oil

Riaan

I know this has been discussed on numerous threads & forums. I "think" the consensus is that this will do more good than harm. So I want to go ahead and test this. Just want to find out how much to add.. 150ml per tank? and do you add this every time you fill up? Is there any specific brand or spec that I should look for? Don't want to go and add the wrong stuff.... :shifty:

Thanks in advance!
Riaan

I put 500ml in each tankful, can't remember where I got that amount from, but I read it somewhere. I figured if it can be burnt in a 2 stroke it wont do much harm to a bl**dy great diesel. :think:

Just a question Chas, wouldn't "proper" diesel fuel treatment from the fuel station be safer and better fit for the purpose of an upper cylinder lubricant.

What I would be concerned with is what it was doing when going through your pump and injector system. Probably zero worries once combusted, but before???

Last edited:
I used to put 500ml in to a tankfull as thats what a coke bottle holds so very easy to measure out. it does run smoother and quieter with 2smoke in.

Using 2T will do no harm at all you will notice that the engine is much quieter on tickover and run smother I have been using 2t for over 20 years in all our diesels with only good results .

As above 500ml to a tank

As the others say, the engine is noticeably quieter and smoother, I've been using it for only about two years but nothing negative so far. :pray:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wow, I'm going to give this a go! Does anyone think the results would be any different in a non-turbo 80? Different in a bad way I mean?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Works well

I also add about 120 ml acetone to each tank. Makes the fuel ignite better and burn more completely so cleaner and a ive found a slight gain on mpg

Are the views the same for common rail engines? A few people are recommending me to run 2 stroke oil in my 530d but am hesitant as it is a common rail engine. I have read it should replace the lubricating properties of sulphur in the low sulphur diesel, not sure how much truth is in that for common rail engines as the low sulphur diesel became popular in the late 90s.

I would have thought the newer pumps are better able to handle the low sulphur fuels than our old pumps

I have done some more searching on this and found the following on other sites. Might be a bit old but I think still relevant....

"It's important that the oil is Jaso FB spec compliant, low ash, and not fully synthetic - because this does not burn well."

"Due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negative impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.

The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacturer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!

BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.

Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burns cleaner as the diesel itself.

In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongst others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%. "

I'm off tomorrow to go and buy some 2 stroke and add it to my LC, will report here if anything catastrophic happens...!

Really interesting read, looks like I need to up the dosage I'm using.

That was copied straight from a BMW forum. I do wonder where the actual source is for all that info.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

It's all over the net but the "Case for 2SO" started back in 2007 (And the pro's and cons discussions are on-going, +- 70 pages). The site where it all started:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html

In case I'm still unable to post link: www DOT freel2 DOT com /forum /topic878 DOT html

If you have a read the last few pages apparently there should be a link to a German Audi a2 forum which shows VERY convincing lab results of the benefits of using 2SO in diesel. If I find it I will post here if anyone's interested.

Very interesting indeed. My 120 is starting to sound a bit noisy of late, so I may give this a go at the next fill up

Having read the injectors on 90's are so strong they are rarely changed even during a main dealer full service and accepting my truck is fast approaching the 100k mark I decided some cleaning treatment wouldn't go amiss BEFORE any problems presented themselves . After reading a fair bit of on-line babble i decided on this stuff
http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/166705/reviews.htm
Can't say i noticed a difference but then i chucked a bottle of Redex in the fuel tank a couple of months ago so maybe there wasn't much to clean .

Anyway the reviews seem good so i thought i'd post the link .

I've been regularly adding 0.2-0.3% of 2T oil in all my cars for close to three years now. Engines do run quieter whenever there is 2T in the tank, and it gives peace of mind when I don't know exactly what the pump is selling (paraffin happens to be cheaper than diesel around here, so it has a tendency to find its way into the petrol stations' tanks... go figure!).

If I have a bottle handy, then I throw half of it in with a full tank (90 liters)

So it gets it now and then, but not always.
It does run quieter, but it does bump up the cost of fuel.
Not sure I think it is totally worth it for the extra cost.

Our Lidl has some coming in next week, €4.99 a liter.
So we may get there early and clear the shelves for that price.

Gra

"It's important that the oil is Jaso FB spec compliant, low ash, and not fully synthetic - because this does not burn well."

Where did you read this? The Jaso specs run though FA,B,C and D. D is the highest spec 2 stroke oil, the most expensive, used in some of the most powerful, highly stressed and high revving 2 stroke engines and is synthetic but it doesn't burn well??!!!!:lol: I've used synthetic oils in all the 2 stroke bikes I've ever owned because they burn BETTER with lass ash/deposits/smoke and promote less wear.
You don't need the latest racing spec 2 stroke oil to benefit a diesel engine but it certainly won't do it any harm IMO.

Last edited:
I've been adding 2-stroke to the diesel in the 80 since our last big discussion on here about a year (or was it 2....?) ago. I now put a third of a litre in per tank after putting 500ml through a few times. IIRC the most frequently advised/mentioned ratio is 200:1 which equates to around a third of a litre per 70 litre fill up. The most immediate and noticeable benefit was improved smoothness giving a quieter engine. I certainly was not immediately aware of any noticeable MPG gains. The oil I use is Castrol Actevo which you can get in Halfrauds or as I do, order for half as much online. I believe it is a semi-synthetic which IIRC was the recommended oil for an older diesel engine.

Back