Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice needed. New member with auto box issues

Thys

Country Flag
namibia
Hi new to the site. Need help have 80 series vx 1997 model. Have gear change problem seems did not know what gear to go into. gears jump all over the place driving slow is okay under 40km/h above that it goes crazy. Any tipps what to check

From what you say, it’s an auto and although I don’t know too much about autos, it could be short of transmission fluid (ATF). I suggest that first you check the level as described in the manual, and if that isn’t the cure, then someone will reply to your problem, as we’re a helpful bunch of enthusiasts...

Good luck

To check the level, run it until the box is warmed up then with the engine running, cycle it through all gears and reverse then check the level with the dipstick, atf should be showing between the lower and upper marks 'when hot'. Also check the ATF doesn't smell burned or look milky as it could get water in it.

Check your gear change cable that runs from the quadrant on the injection pump throttle linkage above the pump, back and down under the truck. Pull it out gently and let go, it should snap back. (Thanks to @Chris for this recent advice to another member).

You don't have the overdrive light flashing do you?

Try these then report back. If no luck then I expect folks on here will have a solution.

Last edited:
Have you changed the transmission oil and filter? You do not say if it is a gasoline engine or diesel one...gasoline will have A343F tranny and diesel A442F...for a 97 year model...after oil and filter change, adjust the kick down cable (not sure if you guys call it like that) if the O/D is flashing, you may have solenoids issues...need to have more details

Nothing much to add to the above but, although not OBD II compatible you can pull codes to check gearbox solenoids, I do not have a lot of experience with 80 autos so leave it to those that do.

And by way.......welcome.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I did put a file into the download section for the A442F that has some good info. There is also a wiring harness plug close to the starter motor that goes to the transmission, it can get corrosion inside the plug and give shifting problems, you could try unplugging it and giving it a clean with contact cleaner, its a bugger to get to tho. The TPS on the IP (diesel) could be faulty. Have a read thru that file at least before you start paying someone

Back