Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice please - waterproofing access hole.

wobbly

Garage
There is a circular access hole, about 30mm in diameter, in the floor of the hilux.

It has 4 cables going through it from the canopy wiring.

Originally it had a foam type grommet, but that gone so the cables can go through.

I'm now scratching my head as to how to waterproof it.

I also noticed that one cable is infact a shroud with a split along its length, like a cable tidy, so if I do seal the hole, potentially water coul;d still get in via this cable.

Will try for a decent photo tomorrow.....

Pete

Had the same issue on my 4x4 camper - used a split grommet and a shed load of mastic - 2 years later its still holding....

As per Dave, find a grommet that fits the hole and split it down. You can super glue it back once it's round the cables then silicone or even blu tak. Or in my case windscreen sealant, which seems to go like blu tak.

5fdccbc7e83d3ef1ac1ab25db1a8881c.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I rekon my screen sealant would squeeze in around that. PM me your address and I'll send you a bit the size of a tennis ball. I've got a tube that's virtually gone off. No good for squeezing but perfect for pushing into that lot like putty. You're welcome to it wob.

Cheers starcruiser, I ordered one of those things shayne posted then saw your offer!

Will update with how I get on with it - off to David Bowyers this weekend so hope its here before!

No problem, Shayne's fix looks pretty good. I'd be interested to see how you get on with it.

http://versimold.com/

Its probably to late for Pete now but i just chanced upon this stuff and the question will no doubt be asked again .

Last edited:
The blue/yellow stuff worked ok, altho I havent waded yet as the truck tyres are road pattern.

Back