Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice sought. What to do?

outdoordan

Supporter
The good lady and I are travelling overland to Ibiza in a week and I'm just about finished prepping the truck.

Waiting for an alternator belt to arrive tomorrow morning and just about done. Just about everything that can be changed/flushed/refilled/cleaned/fixed has been.

The only thing I haven't done is fix the squeaky exhaust manifold leak.

The top rear stud has snapped (I found the snapped off bit with nut attached under the heat shield sat on top of the manifold) and its tweeting at certain revs. Obvious small sooty patch where it's leaking. Its got a bit louder in about a month but not much.

I'm dithering about fixing it because I'm not sure it's actually doing much harm and because if I snap any other studs and/or cant get them out I'll have a nightmare on my hands with departure imminent.

I'm taking tools with me and if it becomes a real problem I can fix it on the road.

I'm a reasonable mechanic but by no means expert.

What would you do? Any advice?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd leave well enough alone unless I had all of the necessary tools, time, skills etc to tackle something that will probably go south on you. That's not going to kill a Cruiser.

Can you get to the broken stud enough to drill it and tap a smaller hole in it then insert a smaller bolt? Say a 6mm in an 8mm stud? Wouldn’t be the end of the world to leave it but it will be putting additional strain on the others and as you say the leak won’t get any better.

One thing I thought of was to try to drill/remove the snapped stud with the manifold in situ, then fit a new stud. dribble some wellseal into the top of the manifold joint then re-tighten. just a thought.

what is the 3B cylinder head made from? Is the hot gas escaping going to damage it?

One thing I thought of was to try to drill/remove the snapped stud with the manifold in situ, then fit a new stud. dribble some wellseal into the top of the manifold joint then re-tighten. just a thought.

what is the 3B cylinder head made from? Is the hot gas escaping going to damage it?

I’d say no, exhaust valves can burn when they’re leaking, but only because of the intense heat of the gas leaking under compression. There’s almost zero pressure (in comparison) at the manifold gasket, and I’ve seen plenary of leakers but none of them burned, even on alloy heads.

Dunno what the 3B head is made from... sorry.

JMHO of course.

Good luck on your trip Dan, IMO you’re more likely to get a puncture than a problem with a leaking exhaust manifold :thumbup:

I’d say no, exhaust valves can burn when they’re leaking, but only because of the intense heat of the gas leaking under compression. There’s almost zero pressure (in comparison) at the manifold gasket, and I’ve seen plenary of leakers but none of them burned, even on alloy heads.

Dunno what the 3B head is made from... sorry.

JMHO of course.

Good luck on your trip Dan, IMO you’re more likely to get a puncture than a problem with a leaking exhaust manifold :thumbup:

Magic. Thanks Clive

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back