Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air con Rip out.. On an 80

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
The parasitic worm that has been burrowing through my brain for some time.. Made me decide to rip out and do away with the Air con in the 80.. Iv blanked of where it went through the bulk head (passenger side) and the same where it disappears behind the front grill, Into both sides of the Rad.. My question is.. I cant see by disconnecting the air con, would have any effect on the heating/cooling in the Cab... It doesn't interfere with the heater /blower Matrix..... Does It ? ( The worm made me do it)

Well in theory it shouldn't. In effect it will be the same as the AC simply not working. You can take out the aircon condenser (front rad) and get better airflow over the engine cooling radiator. There could be a market for the bits too. Why take it out, pray tell?

The air into the cab goes through both the AC and heater matrixes but will be unaffected by the absence of the rest of the AC gubbins. Wouldn't be without mine, not just in Summer but also very useful for demisting the interior in Winter

Well in theory it shouldn't. In effect it will be the same as the AC simply not working. You can take out the aircon condenser (front rad) and get better airflow over the engine cooling radiator. There could be a market for the bits too. Why take it out, pray tell?
Everything apart from the pump ( I think) was knackered.. pipes corroded. the pump never had a belt on when I got it, Just about every bolt broke/ and pipe Twisted when trying to undo.. So I just thought. To Hell with it. all the trucks and cars iv ever had the aircon has always been broken/ or had some issue.. To be fair its something I never use, And its made so much space under the bonnet ( I can see the alternator:thumbup:) Iv got the old pump on the bench, It turns freely on the pulley and has good suction At both ports and makes a good solid pumping sound when you spin it up, So cant be much wrong with the pump.. Don't know why it was disconnected.. while I was at it I ripped out all the pipe work for the head lamp washers as well.. And blanked that off at the washer bottle.. Coz they didn't work either, there wern't even any nozzles.. Like I said, 'Bit of a Brain storm going on'..

As long as the electronic control gubbins is working, all of the rest is completely replaceable. I've rebuilt my AC compressor, put new drier and condenser on there and it's blowing ice cold. Some pipes can rub through or corrode it's true, but I know a local company who can and do make up flexible rubber AC hoses to replace the ancient factory stuff. I'm building up a compressor for another forum member this week. It's surprisingly simple as long as you don't let all of the magic out.

Yes it's easy to get the alternator isn't it!

Pumps are worth selling. A cheapie Chinese one is around £300 and a proper Denso one can come in at £700

Repair kit (service parts) are £100

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If the pump is free/working, you can use it as an onboard compressor.
It might need some inline lubrication.

The air into the cab goes through both the AC and heater matrixes but will be unaffected by the absence of the rest of the AC gubbins. Wouldn't be without mine, not just in Summer but also very useful for demisting the interior in Winter
I agree Towpack, But each to his own I guess, We have 3 cars including the 120 All with air con. And we never use it in any of them. The last two years we went round France / Andorra.. in the old truck.. Never put the air con on once.. Windows down Arms out... For some reason.even when I was Farming, if I put the aircon on it would eat into my neck and shoulders.. Maybe that's why im not too bothered about it .. Iv no plans to sell the 80 in the future so im not fussed about resale value.. One less thing to F@*K up as they say... And if I cant get the rear passenger side window motor to work.. It will be getting a sheet of plywood stuck across it:lol:

Yes it's easy to get the alternator isn't it!

Pumps are worth selling. A cheapie Chinese one is around £300 and a proper Denso one can come in at £700

Repair kit (service parts) are £100
This one is the Denso.. Probably the same one as it left the factory 28yrs ago

I would be interested in the pump for a compressor if your not using it

And if I cant get the rear passenger side window motor to work.. It will be getting a sheet of plywood stuck across it:lol:

He..he..the old simple fixes are the best!

Why do I get the feeling this cruiser is going to end up looking like a vehicular version of the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail? :think: :lol:

Don’t need seats, wots wrong wi’a pile o’bricks :lol:

I said that because we had an old unregistered Renault 4 van on a Site once upon a time, that had no seats (and other non-essentials) and a pile of bricks for the driver to sit on. It was a nightmare, but kept on going, and going... :lol:

Don’t need seats, wots wrong wi’a pile o’bricks :lol:

I said that because we had an old unregistered Renault 4 van on a Site once upon a time, that had no seats (and other non-essentials) and a pile of bricks for the driver to sit on. It was a nightmare, but kept on going, and going... :lol:
Im not too fussed at the moment 'Coz' there's a good chance the Engine will be coming out. So il see what we can do Without when it goes back in... Im gonna Model it on that Car Fred Flintstone Had!... Joking apart with all the problems we have had this year with our Motors. I would love to go back to the time I had my old 60 series. No air bags, No ABS, No AHC, EGR, DPF, VSC, And Engine frigging management Lights.... I really am Not interested in all that Shite...

Sounds like you’d get along fine with my 80 Higgy, 1HZ engine with no turbo to worry about, it even has drum brakes on the back, none of these pesky disc thingies at the rear. It did come with all 3 dash switched lockers and leccy windows mind, fully manual mirrors and an ash tray. I’m surprised it even had a radio...

It’s as good as a comfy tractor gets and it rips along like a snail on steroids... love it :lol:

Sounds like you’d get along fine with my 80 Higgy, 1HZ engine with no turbo to worry about, it even has drum brakes on the back, none of these pesky disc thingies at the rear. It did come with all 3 dash switched lockers and leccy windows mind, fully manual mirrors and an ash tray. I’m surprised it even had a radio...

It’s as good as a comfy tractor gets and it rips along like a snail on steroids... love it :lol:
Sounds like driving Heaven to me Clive...The day I come to visit, We can compare who hasn't got what..:thumbup:

Back