Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Airbag wiring. Help!

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Not really a lounge subject but hoping for any ideas. From anyone.

So I found an issue with a wire between the airbag bits in my steering wheel and the central airbag assembly (ECU sort of thing). Have replaced the wire and the error code I was getting has been replaced by a different one.

To diagnose this I need to "release the airbag activation prevention mechansim built into the connector on the central airbag assembly".

How hard can that be? Here are the insttuctions.

airbag1.png
airbag2.png

And here is a photo of the same connector, #1 above.

IMG_1302.JPG

When the connector is plugged into the airbag central assembly there is no continuity between pairs of pins. The pairs are the same as the pairs of short springs you can see in the picture. When you disconnect the connector there is continuity. I assume this is the short spring creating a circuit.

You can see how narrow the terminals are for the pins. It's quite hard to cut strips of paper that thin. I used a train ticket which at least supports it's own wait for inserting into the terminals. Now it's not clear to me where to insert the paper. I've tried in the holes shown greyed out, and the holes below which is where I think the pins from the central assembly go. But neither of these break the continuity between the pairs. I've also tried using a cut down tie wrap in case the spring needs a bit more oomph to get past it.

Bit stuck now. Any ideas? Anyone done this before?

Thanks

Difficult to tell from my settee rob, it looks to me like youve put the paper in the wrong connector. Have you tryed cutting something into strips like a plastic milk bottle carton etc.i would of thought you would feel the initial resistance of the spring, then feel the isolating strip slide in with a little less resistance until it locates.

If that makes any sence whatsoever..

I'd say you've put it in the wrong hole

20161119_211333.png

The little part in there looks like might be the spring from what I can see. Also if look at the diagram looks to show the paper in that area

Thanks. For clarity I have tried in the hole below also (above in the diagram). I can't feel anything that might be a spring though. And now I've come in and thought about it I'm even less sure I understand what's happening. The pins it connects to are metal, so even if the spring is prised open there would still be continuity. So perhaps testing for continuity isn't a good test I've got paper in the right place, although then I don't understand why there is no continuity across the pins when the connector is plugged in.

Are they standard male connectors, or is there some sort of isolating strip under the connector?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use a torch and one of those little dentist like mirrors for such occasions rob.

Youve got me thinking now.. would tooth picks work?

Are you trying to check continuity of the control unit?

Are you trying to check continuity of the control unit?

Continuity across pairs of terminals in the connector. Continuity exists when the connector is not plugged into the control unit. When plugged in there is no continuity. I'm guessing that if the short springs are interrupted then continuity is lost and I'll know I've put my paper / plastic in the correct place, and the airbag activation prevention system is off.

From the diagram, I would say it needs to go in the 4 larger T shaped slots just above where you show your cable tie. It if far from clear though. If you look in those slots, I think you can see the curled end of the shorting contacts.

The paper is shown at the level of the 4 T slots. The other hole is to release the contact from the plug moulding by the looks of it.

Ideally it's best not to check continuity when connected to a control unit unless it's specifically states to do so.
Same with an airbag connected.

I'd guess it's to check for the wiring shorted together? it's why the short spring needs to be disengaged.

With the continuity not there when connected it sounds like there's no wiring short.

What is the error code you're getting?

Well didn't get anywhere with the springs in the connector, but I did go back through the diagnostics and found I'd made a mistake in step 1! I mistinterpreted step (b) and disconnected the wiring from the steering wheel to the sensor assembly, rather than removing the connector from the sensor assembly itself. I have subtly indicated here with a red arrow.

srs3.png

Having done that the subsequent steps all made sense and have diagnosed a duff sprial cable / clock spring which was my guess before I started doing anything.

I'm getting errors B1181 (which is the check above), plus error B0100 which is the error I need to block the short springs for. I've got a spiral connector coming from PartSouq so I'll fit that and worry about the short springs if I still have a problem. Thank you very much for all the suggestions though.

Result. Hopefully that gets it sorted.

Back