Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

alarms and cctv - home - recommendations

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
All

Anyone got any recommendations for alarm systems and cctv systems?
I am likely to install myself in the coming weeks as my arm continues to heal but I am unable to do any heavy (real!!) work.
We looked at an alarm company doing one for us a couple of years ago as ours needs updating but ended up not proceeding with them (just as well as they went bust about six months ago). They were swaying towards wireless but this house is a mixture of construction types and we do have transmission problems in that regard which worried me, as did the thought of constantly changing batteries. I am happy to lay cabling as I have service ducts all over the place unless there is a good case for wireless.
Ideally want to install a cctv system at the same time - easier to cabling en-masse rather than the upheaval of doing jobs twice. Had looked at Costco's voucher on the Swann system at just over £200 but it is a max of 4 (included) cameras, and what confused me was when it said on the box that its a digital recorder with HD cameras yet classed as an analogue system???

With the above I am not looking to spend thousands - but figure I can "give" more value by doing the donkey-work myself!

Thanks all

J

I don't know much about the alarm side - only that i've heard wireless can give headaches. The only reason to go wireless is so you don't need to lay cables and seems how you are happy to go with that then wired seems like the best call.

On the cctv side I've been looking at hikvision kit (Swann is possibly rebranded hikvision equipment.) They seem to be quite well liked on various cctv forums

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-1080P-H...hash=item4d3385f506:m:mnx-7w3D5p54SxIqRVQ_4lg

I have heard that the wireless ones are vastly improved tech wise from what they were so may be worth considering.

And at the risk of offending this is my brother in law's company clicky here.
You might find it useful to speak with him, he will respond to email queries.
He usually tailors the installation to suit the requirements of the owner and the premises.
And for me a professional installation comes with peace of mind that it will work and any issues will be corrected under "warranty" so to speak.
Also it is best to have a monitored alarm/cctv system because if you are not there then somebody will check up on the premises in the event of an activation, not to mention you can log in from anywhere with internet and see what your cctv is seeing so useful if you are away and there is work being done on your home.

While you can install anything yourself it may not be certified and in the case of cctv not compliant with law or admissible in court.

Just my two cents worth.

Maybe have a look at Samsung smart home security systems.

The purist folk here who do this for a living will shoot me for this but here goes; ebay. :)

I bought, for a friend, a Chinese-Special kit off eBay for £150. An 8 channel recorder, 4 720p cameras and a 1TB drive.
Picture quality during the day is very good. I can see to the back of the garden (60ft?) Zoomed in I can recognise people I know.

At night, quality is better than I expected. The IR does not get very far but the cameras work very well in low light.

Everything can be view on my phone via the internet and emailed to me if movement is detected in the shots.

For £150 I am very impressed with what I got. A fortune does not need to be spent (if you don't want to)
Will try find the link.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back