Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alaska

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Tried searching forum, but little to find.

Jo and I have always wanted to go to Alaska, so we are planning to do one more African adventure this year before the carnet expires again!!!!!

The plan that is beginning to form, is to return the truck to the UK and then ship to the USA and drive through Canada to Alsaka.

Has anyone on here been to Alasaka?
Anyone driven there?
Any one with any relevant experience?

Dang, I wish I was doing that trip. Should be fabulous. And no need to have to bribe anyone!

Dang, I wish I was doing that trip. Should be fabulous. And no need to have to bribe anyone!

Well come along then CJ. You have more than one truck. Do it in stages as we plan to. Do a trip and then leave the vehicle and return.

Shipping Soton - NY = circa £1100 + clearing
No Carnet Required in North America or Canada

Cheap once you're there as no hotels to worry about.

Cheap Mickey Thompson tyres and wheels too!!

Can admin edit that link please. Cant seem to edit it on mobile. Olazz is that 1100 in a container? I thought US had a 25 year rule on "imports" but Canada was ok?

Wish it was that easy, Lazz. I am not yet in that period of my life where I can just up sticks like that. I'm married.

No sorry I meant I have a young daughter. Yes that's it. Phew that was close. Don't think anyone noticed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We're going across Canada, into Alaska to Prudoe Bay and then travelling South along Rockies through States and ultimately down to Tierra del Fuego. A couple of thoughts:

We are going container to Halifax Nova Scotia
US has some tough entry/exit/re-entry rules - hoping in and out of Canada/US the 6 months visa clock is still ticking.....thus entering US at New York starts the clock. Whereas entering Canada the USA clock doesn't start until you enter into Alaska.....you may wish to check this out

We are still in the planning stage but we plan to get to Halifax March/April 2016.....and get to Alaska ahead of peak mosquito season. PM me with your details and happy to chat.

Suggest that you connect to the guys on the HUBB.....there are also plenty on pan Americas FB/Bloggers to check out

Why not get in touch with the guys at expedition overland? http://http://m.youtube.com/user/ExpeditionOverland
Yep thanks Simon, have watched their videos...all a little amateurish and too much psycho babble for me.

Can admin edit that link please. Cant seem to edit it on mobile. Olazz is that 1100 in a container? I thought US had a 25 year rule on "imports" but Canada was ok?
Yep thats in a 20' container.

Wish it was that easy, Lazz. I am not yet in that period of my life where I can just up sticks like that. I'm married.

No sorry I meant I have a young daughter. Yes that's it. Phew that was close. Don't think anyone noticed.
Noticed what???

We're going across Canada, into Alaska to Prudoe Bay and then travelling South along Rockies through States and ultimately down to Tierra del Fuego. A couple of thoughts:

We are going container to Halifax Nova Scotia
US has some tough entry/exit/re-entry rules - hoping in and out of Canada/US the 6 months visa clock is still ticking.....thus entering US at New York starts the clock. Whereas entering Canada the USA clock doesn't start until you enter into Alaska.....you may wish to check this out

We are still in the planning stage but we plan to get to Halifax March/April 2016.....and get to Alaska ahead of peak mosquito season. PM me with your details and happy to chat.

Suggest that you connect to the guys on the HUBB.....there are also plenty on pan Americas FB/Bloggers to check out

Thats intersting info Steve. Also looking to ship in spring 2016. Halifax as god as NY. Will PM you.

Out of pure and unashamed jealousy, I was browsing the interweb and found some very juicy stuff on the road trips in Alaska.

unfortunately, came on this on youlube. WTF, they're a disgrace!

Olazz be careful on that quote for 1100 for the sole use 20 ft container. That rate is the pure shipping and will not include Handling charges (THC) and you will most likely need a broker to help with customs on import side.

i would budget up to 500 GBP for these costs. Hope this helps.

Also am interested in doing the Alaska down to the bottom of South America, if you want to convoy....

Last edited:
Just finished watching the Yukon series mentioned earlier. It got a lot of negative comments. Where's all the off road action. Oh you idiots. Why didn't you go here etc. Boring.

Two things. I found it enjoyable to watch with the scenery being the star. It was a documentary of a trip and the people who took it. Not a best practice guide.
Second. They have done it. Have you? No, then shut the f*** up.

I am just itching now partly from the desire to get out in my truck and go somewhere and partly due to the insect activity. Oh man, I haven't seen flies that thick in a while.

Loved the trip on the McKenzie river with the Caribou standing there trying to get away from the flies.

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 19.40.13.jpg

Lazz you haven't even gone yet and I am jealous already mate.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the expedition overland videos, they make me want to jump in the Hilux and head off into hills

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep - I was watching the Expedition Overland series of vids.....as they were releasing them each month. Personally I liked the photography & scenery plus it gives me some ideas on what to expect. At the end of the day it is a marketing tool, aimed at US market (which doesn't always sit well with a UK market) but they're driving Cruiser/HiLux and they too have been there and done that. There is a series of 8 vids I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL51gIdyUeY

I've been watching all them Expedition Overland series! Like Olazz sais, it's a bit much American.. but hell, it looks like the perfect roadtrip.

Me and a friend are slowly making plans heading over there for three months in two cruisers. Nothing specific yet, but the aim is to go in about 1,5 - 2 years!
And if we're there, checking out the gold-rush scenery and stuff :icon-smile:

Been up to Alaska (just the tail-end as got too cold and we decided to turn around and go south) and good chunk of NW Canada (also did NE Canada when lived N of NY)
Alaska is BIG and do-able but you need to plan the timeframe regd. seasons etc. We were there the end of Oct and no tourists, no bugs but COLD - and we know cold having lived in Colorado for 10yrs+)
10 months on the road now from Washington/Seattle up to Alaska and then down to Tierra del Fuego. However run out of time and about 6wks left where we'll get to Santiago and buggy across to Uruguay to ship back to Europe.

Beware of the visa issues (none for us) regd. popping in/out of Canada/USA. You could spend 2-5yrs just doing Canada/N.America (we've meet overlanders who go slower than us :)
Trying to get from top of Alaska to bottom of South America in 1 yr is really pushing it. Need to be very set as regards #miles per day, only so many 'days' in any one spot etc. Driving US/Canada is easy as regards motorways, good roads and making good progress on daily mileage (when you need to). Once you get to Central/South America that changes once you go off the main highways (even the PanAm "main" road can be spotty).
We certainly under-planned how far we would travel. Done 20K miles but our challenge is wife who likes to sleep in and 3 teenage kids who also ain't get-up-n-go in the morning. Some spots are great (or meet some good overlanders and just want to "chat" with some like minded folks) and you want to stay more

Anyways - hit me offline if you like for more info.
Seasons are also relevant for Central/South America more (rainy, wet, humid season etc.) all depending on how much of a challenge you want (4x4) and timeframe

Sounds great, any photos to share from your adventures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting stuff Brendan. Our trip planning is progressing nicely. Have sent you a PM.

Back