Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alloy rim nuts on steel rims

Zmayski

Country Flag
croatia
Steel rim story continues, to my surprise...

Usually, the lug nuts for alloy rims doesn’t fit on steel rims – but it this case, they might! I thought that I’ll have to get me a new set of nuts, like those, to fit conical holes on steel rims, like those:
Matice za čelične felge.jpg

But, I tried original nuts for alloy rims on those steel rims, and those nuts have this conical shape too! It looks like this:
Rezervni kotač.jpg

By your opinion, is it OK to use those original nuts on steel rims?

Do the original nuts have a rounded shape underneath the flat part?
Mine seemed to work ok but I wasn't sure - I thought that the wheel would be able to move without a rounded part of the nut locating.I went for new nuts to suit the wheel.

The fitted nut in your pic only holds the wheel on by its countersunk taper , how many tons will that hold while cornering at speed ? Buy suitable nuts .

Do the original nuts have a rounded shape underneath the flat part?

Original nuts have a conical (not rounded) shape at the bottom.
20191101_113855.jpg

And they fit perfectly into the conical cutout on the rims:
20191101_113918.jpg

So, I'm pretty confident that it would work - I was just surprised that they incorporate such a feature - "One lug to fit them all!!! (LOTR) :)

The fitted nut in your pic only holds the wheel on by its countersunk taper , how many tons will that hold while cornering at speed ? Buy suitable nuts .

Oh, I have ordered steel rim nuts - they are just not yet delivered...
But in the meantime I'm testing this option.

And, BTW, you said: "nut in your pic only holds the wheel on by its countersunk taper" -
But, all steel rim nuts hold the rim ONLY by the countersunk taper, they dont have flat area like alloy rim nuts; please, check the pic on the top of this topic...

Here, I've found 4 main types of lug nuts - AFIK on 120 alloy rims Toyota is using "shank with washer" type...

Conical_Seat_Lug_Nut.jpg ET_Style_Lug_Nut.jpg Flange_Style_Lug_Nut.jpg Shank_Lug_Nut.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK the shank and washer type work with original alloys because its part captive in the wheel supporting and strengthening the stud . Steel wheel nuts are much thicker starting from the taper to do the same without being captive .

OK the shank and washer type work with original alloys because its part captive in the wheel supporting and strengthening the stud . Steel wheel nuts are much thicker starting from the taper to do the same without being captive .

Good point, Shayne!
I think that my personal conclusion will be - Original alloy rim nuts could be used on steel rims in emergency, but one should not rely on them. To be replaced with thick steel rim nuts ASAP.
(I like to make such "memo" notes to myself!)

Back