Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternatives to replacing the LSPV

Lorin

Any ideas especially in terms of an economical fix? Apparently mine is stuffed! Although I haven't yet checked, I imagine they are rather pricey from Mr Toy and I'm not sure it is worth risking a second hand one. What about replacing it with a standard brake bias valve with the adjuster in the cab :think:

I never understood why a vehicle with ABS needs an LSV as well :? :?

I guess I must be missing something somewhere.

The problem with replacing it is that it acts as a shunt - when the ABS kicks in the fluid is diverted back to the ABS Modulator, thus reducing the pressure in the hose to the brakes. I guess the 'load sensing' bit also allows that to happen at a pre-set pressure depending on the angle of the lever.

Is there anything else out there that would perform the same function :?:

I tried stripping the one from my '95', but it was far too corroded to come apart. I'm still curious as to what goes on inside :think:

Bob.

Hi
I wonder if toyo do a overhaul kit. Too much rear brake bias is DEFO dangerous so be careful.

Frank

frank rabbets said:
Hi
I wonder if toyo do a overhaul kit. Too much rear brake bias is DEFO dangerous so be careful.

Frank

Nope, I checked :thumbdown: And the quote for a new one was £198+ VAT :shock: Not really an option at that price but I'm still stuck for what else I could do :sick:

I can remember reading something on mud about fitting a manual valve in place of the LSPV. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Surely a 2nd hand one from Karl or Stef is worth a bash? There doesn't seem to be much demand for them so I am sure they could do you a good price :mrgreen: Try it and see!

Why is yours stuffed? Corroded and died of old age or bodged mod to get it functioning after the lift?

At the end of the day, a functioning braking system is non-negotiable so you know what the worst case scenario is in terms of cost (i.e. Mr T)

Andrew Prince said:
Surely a 2nd hand one from Karl or Stef is worth a bash? There doesn't seem to be much demand for them so I am sure they could do you a good price :mrgreen: Try it and see!

Why is yours stuffed? Corroded and died of old age or bodged mod to get it functioning after the lift?

At the end of the day, a functioning braking system is non-negotiable so you know what the worst case scenario is in terms of cost (i.e. Mr T)

I've been told that my LSPV is so corroded that the adjuster on the actual LSPV itself is seized (i.e. not the 'arm' mechanism). Given the ridiculous price of a replacement part in the UK (they are £85 in the US!), I got a second hand one off Stef and will give that a go. If no joy with that then I will simply remove it completely and install a manual brake bias valve at the MC. Lots of write-ups on ih8mud reporting good results. Hopefully the replacement one will be okay.

Hi Lorrin. Make sure you get the bias correct. I built a new Ultima car and had to have it tested by VOSA. They were really careful to check the brake bias. In fact that was the only thing I could not do myself. The factory did it and drilled and pinned the adjuster so they couldn't be held responsible if someone fiddled with it.

Frank

frank rabbets said:
Hi Lorrin. Make sure you get the bias correct. I built a new Ultima car and had to have it tested by VOSA. They were really careful to check the brake bias. In fact that was the only thing I could not do myself. The factory did it and drilled and pinned the adjuster so they couldn't be held responsible if someone fiddled with it.

Frank

Cheers Frank, I will do. I'm tearing my hair out here :evil: I have now been told that it is not the LSPV valve itself but the 'arm' mechanism that is stuffed :angry-screaming: NOT what they told me on Friday.

Whilst I am happy to accept some element of just 'bad-luck' with stuff going wrong, it is my opinion that mechanic incompetance has cost me quite literally £1000s with this truck. I have now bought and paid for a part that I don't need and not sourced what is needed all because of incorrect information :evil:

you can get an arm bush rebuild kit for not a lot of money from toyota if that's any help

Back