Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator is kaput

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
Well it only lasted 296,742 miles... I really should put in a letter of complaint...

Got the squealing bearing noise on startup this evening in Dublin, but it kicked into life upon revving. It tried it's best and lasted for 84 of the 86 miles that I had to go to get home.. then the dash was a Christmas tree.. have to get one tomorrow and throw it in.

Have never changed one, I presume it is as simple as it looks.. 4 bolts, connectors and a new belt..

Well it only lasted 296,742 miles... I really should put in a letter of complaint...

Got the squealing bearing noise on startup this evening in Dublin, but it kicked into life upon revving. It tried it's best and lasted for 84 of the 86 miles that I had to go to get home.. then the dash was a Christmas tree.. have to get one tomorrow and throw it in.

Have never changed one, I presume it is as simple as it looks.. 4 bolts, connectors and a new belt..

No reason why it shouldn't be a straightforward job, Bob.

It always irks me that they're fairly easy to overhaul, if you know what you're doing.

In the old days, you'd buy a reconditioned unit, with a guarantee. Is it still the same or do they expect you to just chuck the old one away?

Last edited:
If it wasn't the weekend I'd say to contact Mike at Robson and Francis for one by carrier.
Yes, they do get rebuilt, R&F have been doing them for many of the distributors around the country for donkeys years. Ordinarily they would take the old one back. Let me know if you get stuck Bob.

I'm under time pressure to have it back on the road, and my repair guy who does alternators can't get it done until Wednesday. So Mr. T is supplying me an exchange unit and belt for 200 euro moneys, first going Monday morning. So it'll be back on the road providing I can open the shed door in this storm that's coming!

Fitted the Toyota exchange unit this afternoon. Very straightforward job, if a bit tight to access at times.

IMAG1384.jpg

IMAG1385.jpg

However it was the first time in years that I've been able to do a job like this indoors.. long time coming, the property crash took a while to get over!

IMAG1386.jpg

Back