Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

alternator regulator broken? possible find external generic one?

umuzungu

Country Flag
france
Hi friends,
On my LJ73, the charging voltage is about 14v after starting the engine. But 15 seconds later, somthing happens : by night I can see some leds slowly lightening (glow plugs, filter, belt...). The light is very low but is here. Then after after some time, the charging circuit slows down, it is 13,9 and finally 13,6. First I though about a problem with the alternator. I've checked the bridge and the diodes (all seem ok). I coudln't check the regulator. Do you think it could be it? Appart from that, I noticed no power leak in the car.
Do you think it could be the rectifier?
I saw also that my alternator was not an original one for that car, it is one for Hiace diesel (mine is LJ73 2.4TD). It is because here in Africa it is the total mess, can't find help from locals about these questions.
Is it possible to buy an external rectifier, so as I would be able to adjust to charging voltage? I can't with mine (denso 126000-2200).
Thank you very much,
Sorry my english, I'm french, I'm living in Africa. Merci :icon-razz:

Bonsoir Mon amis :) I would suggest stripping the back of your alternator and replacing the diode, rectifier and brushes. It's all pretty simple once the alternator is removed from the engine bay. It might be worth replacing your battery terminals if they're at all corroded and checking your battery too, as these could both cause the faults you are describing. Hope that helps.. Jim.

thanks but...

Hi,
Thank you for your try,
Humm.. it does not help much.
As I said, I checked the bridge, the diodes, it looks fine. So why would I change them.
Still this question about external rectifier. With adjustable voltage. thanks a lot.

Back