Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Amateur radio installation

foobar

Country Flag
uk
Evening,

I've upgraded my home VHF/UHF radio so have a Kenwood TM-D71E I want to put in the car. Any advice on where to put it and run power?

I think I'd like to run the DC from the battery (I'll put Anderson PowerPoles on the end), are there any gaps in the firewall I can use?

I don't fancy mounting the unit under the seat for airflow reasons, but I'm also not keen on drilling holes into the interior. I should go outside and check if there's enough space in one of the cubby holes in the boot perhaps, assuming running power from the front is relatively easy, or if there's somewhere in the rear I can tap into that can handle 20-30A.

Eventually I'd like a microphone up on the A-pillar with the PTT on the centre console, but I'm not keen on running the cable inside the A-pillar due to the airbags. Any advice by anyone that's done it welcome. I'd like it all to be as hidden as possible.

Thanks,
Steve.

You can run a decent 25mm2 positive and negative on the drivers side bringing it through the grommet low down, cables will come past the kick panel.

You should have enough space for the base unit up under the dash hugging the transmission tunnel, a bit fiddly but it might go.

There is enough space to tuck the mic cable behind the airbag in the A pillar and bring out near the top.

A few pics from the install in the 80. The storage unit in the back is a permanent (removable) feature so was able to locate the base units on it fed direct from the battery through the large cable entry grommet in the top of the bulkhead (driver’s side) and along the cable trough under the sill trim panels. Prior to fitting the storage unit I had the VHF/UHF base unit fixed to the back of the centre console and was looking at fitting the HF unit behind the RHS rear trim panel. Should be a bit easier in the 100 as it’s more roomy inside?

5F18D6DD-9669-4BA1-8633-21AEAE1BEE44.jpeg 8C318843-051E-410A-9FC0-5255AED64CDC.jpeg B57EDFEC-F700-47B2-8ADF-4B6EB1E36FF9.jpeg 8282560F-1FC5-4130-9A4C-13F2DA971071.jpeg 841E995C-6897-49BB-B6BC-9265F55B942A.jpeg

Original position of base unit......... 1483C15A-D878-4F7F-A63E-93A26E43A82D.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks both, and thanks for the photos Towpack, nice installation :)

I have a few chores to do but will see if I can find the grommet, I do love running cable.

Next I need to work out how and where I'm going to feed the antenna. It won't be permanently fixed, I'l use a mag mount and probably just run the coax out the back. Hopefully there will be enough play in the seal so it doesn't pinch.

If you use some RG58U coax you might get away with feeding it round the door seal. I opted to use Mini 8 which is a bit thicker and pinched too much. If you’re not averse to drilling a hole in the roof, an IP rated SS gland makes a neat job and they’re cheap enough. I was able to fit mine partially hidden by the OEM roofbars so they’re hardly noticeable which was a bonus.

A few pics from the install in the 80. The storage unit in the back is a permanent (removable) feature so was able to locate the base units on it fed direct from the battery through the large cable entry grommet in the top of the bulkhead (driver’s side) and along the cable trough under the sill trim panels. Prior to fitting the storage unit I had the VHF/UHF base unit fixed to the back of the centre console and was looking at fitting the HF unit behind the RHS rear trim panel. Should be a bit easier in the 100 as it’s more roomy inside?

View attachment 154286 View attachment 154287 View attachment 154288 View attachment 154289 View attachment 154290

Original position of base unit......... View attachment 154294
What I want to know is why have you got Dummy loads on two of the rigs ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dummy loads were for testing. The longer leads needed for resiting the base units were made up with cable and crimp tools. Means you can make sure everything works without transmitting.

Back