Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another medal

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
I was in my second archery competition today, but no silver medal this time only a bronze, was I disappointed? no way. :dance:

:clap: good for you Chaz i must admit archery has always been something i've wanted to do since stealing my uncles bow and losing all his arrows when i was a kid :thumbup:

One of my mates is really into it, I might give it a try.

What sort of archery do you do?

Pete

One of my mates is really into it, I might give it a try.

What sort of archery do you do?

Pete

It's always been target shooting, I used to shoot recurve but after an accident where I strained both wrists I couldn't hold the weight of the bow with all the paraphernalia such as sights and stabiliser rods attached to the bow. So I tried shooting barebow, which means no artificial aids for aiming and no stabilisers to reduce vibration, I found much more satisfaction in obtaining good scores because it was all down to my skill in shooting.

Only a week before my accident I had spent £300 on a new set of stabilisers which have not been used since. My sight (also not used now) had cost me £220, I'm a bit loath to sell them though in case I go back to recurve.

Barebow would certainly give me more satisfaction i must remember to look for a local club once christmas is out of the way , its just another one of those things i never seem to get around to doing .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A belated " well done!" From me Chas!

its not a sport that appeals to me too much, but I can't help admire any competitor that can produce such accuracy as you guys do, it's incredible to me!

I remember an old story from the 50's, where as kids we were playing with bows and arrows that we'd made from willow branches and arrows that doubled up as slingshot arrows that we used to fling with pieces of string with a loop at the end (if you can imagine what I'm describing).

A neighbour's kid in our "gang" fired an arrow with his bow straight up and watched it come down.... he lost sight of it until it landed directly in his eye. Of course he lost his eye, and I was banned by my folks from that day onwards, not surprisingly.

Great sport to watch though! Well done again!

A belated " well done!" From me Chas!
I remember an old story from the 50's, where as kids we were playing with bows and arrows that we'd made from willow branches and arrows that doubled up as slingshot arrows that we used to fling with pieces of string with a loop at the end (if you can imagine what I'm describing).

A neighbour's kid in our "gang" fired an arrow with his bow straight up and watched it come down.... he lost sight of it until it landed directly in his eye. Of course he lost his eye, and I was banned by my folks from that day onwards, not surprisingly.
I know what you mean about the 'slingshots' I think the abbos still use that system. The kid that lost an eye. :icon-eek: what a piece of bad luck to have it come back directly down, I wonder what the odds of that happening are. Must have been a no wind day.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about the 'slingshots' I think the abbos still use that system. The kid that lost an eye. :icon-eek: what a piece of bad luck to have it come back directly down, I wonder what the odds of that happening are. Must have been a no wind day.

It was a terrible time, we were all under suspicion till he'd recovered enough to explain that it was self inflicted. Yep, pure bad luck, you couldn't pull that stunt if you tried.

Lucky he wasn't killed, if you can call it luck. The stupid tricks we used to get up to... :whistle:

. Barebow.jpg

Last night at our clubs evening archery I won The Indoor Challenge Trophy (again) but this time it was for Bare Bow, not recurve as last year.

For some reason site won't upload pictures for me, it's been like that for a few days now.

Well done Chas :clap: .
I've noticed some very erratic behavior with the site over the passed week or so , last night there was maybe 6 or 7 duplicate posts which arrived maybe an hour after the original was posted . As the site has been shut down for maintenance twice in the past week i must assume Admin are aware of problems and are working to put them right .

Congratulations Chas, I have always been fascinated by the small bit of archery that is shown in the Olympics.

One of my few regrets from school days, is not trying either archery or fencing.

I must be getting better, I've just been invited to join our clubs team for the National Indoor Championships in Coventry next year.

Well done young Chas, you're making quite a habit of this lately :clap::clap::clap:!!

:orcs-cheers:

That picture is brilliant, so many hours I've spent with a metal detector. Now I use wooden arrows I just give them up as lost :)
Well done on the competition front, shooting barebow is where it's at :p

Sorry I've just seen the date lol belated congratulations then (when I'm browsing the site on my phone I don't see the names and details at the side. Oooops).

Now your part of a team I'll keep an eye out for you at the 2016 Olympics :D

Last edited:
That picture is brilliant, so many hours I've spent with a metal detector. Now I use wooden arrows I just give them up as lost :)
Well done on the competition front, shooting barebow is where it's at :p

We are lucky at our clubs field, we have an above ground reservoir (covered over) so arrows that miss the boss land in the bank of said reservoir. I'm not that strong so I shoot a 28lb bow and 60yds is about my limit, but unless it's windy I don't often have to retrieve my arrows from the bank.

Wooden arrows? I presume then you are a Longbow man? I think even more skill is required for that.
king-033.gif

Re your next post, I'm only in our club team for a national competition I don't think it's likely I'll ever reach Olympic standard, their accuracy is quite outstanding.

I think getting into any team is an achievement, I wish I had the nerve for competitions I just overthink everything as soon as there's some pressure.
Yes I shoot longbow now as I find it much more enjoyable and rewarding and I don't need to keep carrying loads of Allen keys round with me, although I do spend quite alot of time in the bushes looking for my arrows B) and because I do field archery there's usually nothing but brambles and nettles behind each boss.
I don't shoot a warbow, but the poundage has to be higher as longbows aren't very energy efficient and they need heavy arrows, so I'll bet our ranges would be similar.
My 55lb Oneida stealth compound bow sit arrows nearly twice as fast as my 50lb longbow.

Back