Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any Van Owners?

Or finding one that doesn't look like it's been Banger Raced

Before they launched their own fleet I saw hundreds of Amazon's brand new and unliveried vans parked up at the Sandtoft depot outside Doncaster. It was a quite a menacing sight - acres of identical stealth grey single-seat Sprinters. I had no idea who they were for at the time but it was clear the goal was world domination.

I bought a vw lt35 on a W plate in 2002 for 12k and absolutely thrashed it... after 7 years it was shagged! High repair bills burnt out turbo, antifreeze seeping between the head and block... back then there was really good growth so bought a 1999 mercedes lwb sprinter 312d great truck... stupid mistake selling it when the growth of the country was restricted by austerity around 2013. exported to Lithuania and converted to lhd as a recovery truck.

Gave up on vans and pickups because if you take van you can not carry the load, but carry the tools... take the pickup you can carry the load but the tools need to be in the cab so no room for my mate working with me.

With my job the 80 has indeed been better because tools in the back and the trailer with the load... if there's not enough carrying capacity then do another run to deliver the materials.

Plus point is that the 80 isn't knackered after being thrashed with working hard doing the same job after 7 years! :thumbup:

I have a couple of VW transporter T5’s an older 2.5 5cylinder and a 2.0 4motion, the 4motion is a nicer van to drive, but the 2.0 140hp engine needs to worked quite a bit and is worse on fuel than the 2.5 with a remap to 210hp. 2.5’s are starting to be a bit of a gamble now in my opinion as they are susceptible to camshaft and injector faults, injectors wear the head and injector bodies, T5.1’s are common for egr issues, some twin turbo 180’s the egr cooler breaks up internally and destroys the engines. I think in all cases anything with a dual mass flywheel is a bill in waiting! T5’s carry a “high scene tax” and lots of turds have been well polished and painted.
I think the Vauxhall/Renault offer a decent size and quality, but again clutch / flywheel &gearbox issues are fairly common
Mercedes Sprinters rust too fast but offer a few choices in size & engines

Unfortunately due to the increase in online shopping most cheaper vans seem to getting bought to become Amazon/ Hermes delivery vehicles and the delay in supply of new vans has pushed demand and cost up

Higgy is a trailer not an option or do you need the security of a van

Since i had to give up the workshop iv got No space Steve, Trailer would be Great, And i would keep the 80... Van is the Best option, I Could leave stuff Down the Horse field But the 'Scummy' little wankers round here just Smash stuff up or 'Nick' it.... Id never sleep at Night

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Your considering swapping your 80 for a van ?

An 80 would carry a motorbike as easy as most cars carry pushbikes .

Iv Struggled getting a pushbike in the Back of the 80 before.... Never mind a 750 Africa Twin... :wtf:

On not in take some inventiveness but my first thought is you would need the mother of all swingouts .

1644135593687.png

You'd want to make sure your rear chassis legs are in good shape carrying one of those! My buddy who builds bikes uses a T6 transporter, but he bought brand new. He had a 2007 Renault Trafic before that with no issues worth talking about, and ideal size. He has a bolt down bike rack in it and it's carpeted.

Safe trailer tongue weight 10 to 15% of max towing weight 3500 = 350 , twin weighs 232kg so tow bar alone should be strong enough though i don't think i'd be comfortable with that myself .

What's the weight of your bike say 200kg what's the weight of a rack light that let's say best part of a 100kg all that weight hanging off of a trailer hitch which has now been on a vehicle best part of 20 years then have to get upgraded springs and shocks to get it to handle better and without the bike and rack on the back it would end up looking like a Starsky and Hutch mobile

That certainly is a handy bit of kit Jacob..... :thumbup:

2018.05.04___08.55.38___Frank_web.jpg

Bespoke build by Watling Engineering.

Build comprised of a heavier rack, and towbar upgraded for the task that additionally attaches to the four bolts of the rear cross-member. My 640 Adventure is about 195kg fully wet; I'd not take the 990 Adventure very far as there is visible flex - around 240kg. Loading ramp holds the number plate board, and the rack is flange mounted with 4x M16 bolts at 254NM.

Last edited:
Back