Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone have any thoughts on this

Battery voltage at 12.2volts is at half charged state and if the battery is in reasonable condition, there should be no problem in starting an engine......we used to battery test, minimum of 12.2volts, disable engine and crank for 15 seconds, observing volt meter, shouln't drop below 9volts during crank, the re-enable engine and start......so 12.4 volt shut off is fine.

So tell me how many 50% DOD you expect before you start seeing battery damage........
These are supposed to protect the primary battery, not just leave you some standby.
Primary battery - SLI
secondary battery - Deep cycle

Ok if you're running an odyssey or yellowtop as primary, but I wouldn't want to drop a standard SLI flooded to 50% DOD to often

Why not?

Most or nearly all "smart charge" systems on cars these days, don't start to charge batteries until they reach half charge state, and they don't pack up any more than older systems.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The whole point of these relays is to charge a secondary deep cycle battery while protecting your primary battery. Not just from discharge but from damage is what i'd say.

As soon as you let an SLI battery drop below 12.7 you're entering discharge and "killing" the battery. You might well get away with 10 %DOD a thousand times yet only get away with an 80 %DOD twice.
This is all a bit worst case scenario for effect but you get the idea.
After all, 12.4v is maybe 35% DOD but that's at least 30% more than i'd be happy with.

I could shift an extra pallet of batteries a month if i got involved with cars that smart charge, BMW X5's being a favourite. (Can't shut it's moon roof and then restart FFS)
but i REALLY don't want to get involved with anything like that, makes me look bad when a good battery lasts just 2 years

Keep a good battery topped up and it'll see 6 years plus and still be a good starter
If you do intend to semi-discharge it on a regular basis then get a semi-traction battery as your primary, not massively dearer but will take 10x the abuse.

I am honestly not trying to be argumentative here, but I also don't like it when people aren't told the full implications of something.
This thing works and is fit for purpose, it will also lead to the early demise of your starter battery when used as intended for the sake of 3/10ths of a volt in it's setting.
Sorry, just hacks me off and it's been a bad week. :whistle:

Back