Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone tried K&N style air filters.

wobbly

Garage
Annual service coming up, considering putting in a more free flowing filter - anyone done this already?

K&N, pipercross, etc.

Pete

Anyone tried K&N style air filters.

Did that on my Hilux - list of added maintenance in dusty conditions - washing and oiling regularly is a pain. They flow better because they let more gunk through if you're not careful ...

At the K&N site you can lookup an OEM replacement.

That's what I did. To further add to the filtration I added their filterwrap.
So you end up with an easy servicable filter.

Don't buy into the K&N horsepower and performance gain, it really is very marginal for a 4x4 filtration system.

Thats what I was interested in, release a bit more mpg.

Truck is normal uk road use, not really dusty, but if the mpg gain is just marketing then I wont waste £50, its a bit much to just give it a go!

Cheers

Pete

I fitted a new standard air filter and then did some acceleration tests. I then removed the filter and re-did tests. There was no measurable differences.

In my opinion a modern quality paper filter is as good as the much hyped K&N.

roger

Indeed the oem filters are just as good as the K&N stuff.
Or should I put it otherwise, the K&N is probably as good as the OEM filter.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Decision made then.

Will spend the money on something that definitely works, maybe those magnets you put in the tank....

Cheers

Pete

wobbly said:
Decision made then.

Will spend the money on something that definitely works, maybe those magnets you put in the tank....

Cheers

Pete

That's one I've never even heard of?!?!

chriscolleman said:
wobbly said:
Decision made then.

Cheers

Pete

That's one I've never even heard of?!?!

They are similar to the magic pixies that you put in the coolant! :p

Personally I'd spend the money on the waxoyl fairy. You'll recognise her because she looks like a cormorant that's been caught in an oil-slick.

Guy was selling them at Truckfest - pebble sized magnets that apparently change the flow of ions to make the fuel more efficient.

Similat thing a few years bag with magnetic tubes you put on the fuel line. helped cars run on umleaded or something.

Snake oil, I reckon.

Pete

How on Gods Earth would a magnet have any influence on something that isn't magnetic??? :lol:
Just try lifting several drops of fuel with a magnet :roll:

And another thing, you've allready got one mounted on the vehicle.
The fuel shutoff solenoid needs juice for fuel to flow, so you've got some latent magnetism going into the passing fuel anyway.

Mr Toy just thinks of everything doesn't he :lol: :doh:

If any of these "Thingies","Oojibars" or "Whatsits" worked, then Toyota et al, would have incorporated them years ago.

It's a case of, "Whose the next sucker Dell Boy".

Roger

Theres a similar thing I saw - its a sort of rotor, like a mini windmill, that fits into the fuel line, the spiel is that it gets the fuel 'cavitating' correctly, again leads to miraculous fuel savings, more mpg, longer willy etc.

People buy them though!

Pete

Sorry Pete, where did you say I could get one of those :whistle:

Sounds good. Longer, eh?

Hmm

Chris

Yes, 78% longer, and less emissions as well, which is good for the environment.... :D

Pete

Ive posted this before ,but Ill do it again.
This test shows that K&N performed the worst or 2nd worst of all the filters tested.
Note:when K&N or Unifilter appear at the top of the test data graph,its because they let the most dust in or got clogged up 1st :lol:
http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrolet- ... sting.html

This British automotive engineer debunks every known fuel saver gadget in clear no nonsense language.
Forget the magic magnets,the cyclonic marvel and the rare earth bits on the fuel line.
http://www.fuelsaving.info/debunk.htm

Ah yes, but he cant debunk the immense benefits of driving along Ley lines (energy lines that run across the earth), which are almost certainly guaranteed to inprove mpg, if only we knew where they actually were.

Personally, I suspect there is a ley Line running up to Newcastle, which explains Rogers phenomenal mpg.

Go on, prove me wrong........

I also love conspiracy theories!

pete

Back