Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

arduino & touchslide

Jon,

Could the unit display be inverted to project on the windscreen, producing a HUD?

I don't think the displays are bright enough for that to work in daylight.

experimenting with one of the 4DG screens wedged into an OEM overhead console to see how that works (screen type and position).

20131107_123552.jpg

Very neat - is that console standard on 80s with sunroof ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the console is fitted in some other markets but not the UK, so some imports have them in which case there will be either an altitude and compass display or sub tank and compass I think. It's an easy swap for the standard one just have to cut the ends off the sun visors to clear it or buy the right sun visors. Apart from that it screws into existing holes and reuses the original sun roof control panel. I bought this one when I got the bits for the aux tank install but only just got round to fitting it so I have somewhere else to put gadgets :lol:

That's a very impressive job, and probably a lot more useful than an altimeter and compass:drool:

Hi John, that is a great little unit would you like to send another down under ?
great to have one unit that will do almost everything you could possibly want

Hi John, that is a great little unit would you like to send another down under ?
great to have one unit that will do almost everything you could possibly want
Sure, might be worth trying to contact Lee - Legend80 to see if he has a spare unit first and point you in the right direction to source the screen and Arduino down under. You'll need the screen and Arduino first.

thanks Jon,have been playing with an Arduino for a couple of other simple projects, programming isn't one of my strong points but learning ..
if its made of metal different story..
will try and contact Lee

thanks Jon,have been playing with an Arduino for a couple of other simple projects, programming isn't one of my strong points but learning ..
if its made of metal different story..
will try and contact Lee
If you can't get hold of Lee or he can't sort you out pm me and we'll go from there but it would save you some courier charges if he can. You need an Arduino Mega 256 and a screen - either a Liquidware Touchshield slide or one of the 4G Systems LCD touch screens. If you are already playing with an Arduino then getting one of these set up should be easy :icon-cool: The boards I'm building at the moment are spoken for but I should be having some more made at the start of January.

sent a message to Lee , if i dont hear from him i will get back to you
have an arduino uno

will order the bigger one
is the touch shield a better screen to use ?
i could assemble it and get the components and assemble it without too much trouble here

is the touch shield a better screen to use ?
Tough to say which is better really - the touchshield seems a bit brighter, has more memory, costs more / the 4D screens only have 14k flash and 14k dynamic memory to play with which disappears very fast however it has an SD card slot so with a bit of careful code swapping off the card can be extended and the SD card may come in handy later for data logging. You also get a choice of sizes with the 4D screens. Mainly for availability I am favouring 4D at the moment but I have and use both :shifty: If you get a 4D you need to get a programming cable as well.

i could assemble it and get the components and assemble it without too much trouble here
Self assembly is the fastest way to get one because you won't be waiting for me to have time once the boards have been manufactured I can just put in a jiffy bag and post :icon-biggrin:

Well well busy busy. I haven't even looked at in a couple of months. Will have to make some time soon I think.

Are you still thinking of adding TPMS to your gadget?
"Robbie BMW" successfully decoded TPMS data in mp3car, but uses a specific TPMS receiver - see his post titled "Custom USB Tyre Pressure Monitoring Interface"
Jarrod Boone wrote code for a Software Defined Radio (SDR) to try and decode generic TPMS data on github (there appears to be more than 100 data formats). Also see his YouTube video titled "Reversing Tire Pressure Monitors with a Software-Defined Radio"
We could potentially find a UK sensor source and decode the packet format (I current have TyreSure TS010 on my cruiser, so can start with them).
Once decoded, I was thinking of using an RFM01 (£5 on farnell) or a RFM31B (£8 on farnell) to create a serial data input for your arduino - running the full SDR from the arduino is maybe a bit much.
Alternatively, we could start with the kit used by "Robbie BMW" since he's decoded that already, and then feed these into an RFM01 or RFM31B.

Interested?

I'm still thinking of it but it hasn't progressed very far. The TPMS system I installed is unreliable (inaccurate and variable readings plus a few false alarms) so no good as a starting point and I haven't done anything about replacing it with something more reliable yet, just took the batteries out to shut it up! Making the Arduino process some serial data and display it is not an issue but at the moment I don't have a useful data source to investigate :think:

Jon, what make was that? I would like one but if you have first hand experience of one being poor, I'd like to avoid buying that particular model.

Jon, what make was that? I would like one but if you have first hand experience of one being poor, I'd like to avoid buying that particular model.
It is one of these. Now that some of the ones you screw onto the end of the valve are a lot smaller I'll probably try that style next, probably a Tyrepal.

:thumbup:

Cheers Jon. Not one that was on my list.

Back