Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Are there aftermarket undertrays / guards to purchase for landcruisers

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
I'm in the process of fixing some rust and rust-proofing mycruiser and it's obvious that its the middle and rear of these vehicles that suffer most from rust. I'm wondering if rear under trays or guards like the front has would help protect and preserve the rear?

Although, the sills seem to suffer the worst, on mycruiser anyway, not sure how you'd protect them with a under tray type thing.

If anyone know of some sure feel free to link to them and I'll have a gander. I'm guessing there's probably off-road heavy duty guards covers probably available, hmmm.

You should have 4 undertrays as standard, 2 metal and 2 heavy duty plastic. Aftermarket options are available from various manufacturers. None that I've seen will cover the sills though

1590410995890.png

I can't find it but these were eventually identified as Toyota's own protection plates and the part number was posted up on the forum . Cills rot out from inside i believe so squirt some of this in there Krown - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Anyone know if Toyota ever made the front skid plate in plastic. Mine was missing the front plate when bought, and noticed that the 3 bolts originally holding the front plate were all broken in the body chassis. Even if I get an original front skid plate I still need to remove all the broken bolts.

I tried drilling them broken bolts but they didn’t budge. Thinking of getting some plastic plate just to protect the radiator etc. from winter road salt. Don’t do hard core off Road so don’t really need a steel plate. And plastic one is so easy to remove as it is lighter. I can easily re drill new holes on a plastic one to match other holes on the chassis.

So any idea for a plastic front skid plate for a 90series?

Thanks

That front bit you see in the pic above is common as muck genuine Toyota so a breakers yard would likely have one .

Those front pieces are also the same as 3rd gen 4runners.

Shayne, those rear undertray pieces are rare. Did they only come on SWB models? Got any pics of how they look bolted up on the underside?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They are not on it right now Beau , I'm sure someone posted up a genuine parts diagram showing the middle and rear plates and i think it was for a 95 . I couldn't find the thread using my usual successful methods (via google images) so i can only guess its lost and gone forever buried somewhere in the who is doing what maintenance today thread ?

View attachment 166082

I can't find it but these were eventually identified as Toyota's own protection plates and the part number was posted up on the forum . Cills rot out from inside i believe so squirt some of this in there Krown - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

I'm missing the 2nd steel one in that pic, I have the other 3.

Shayne, those rear undertray pieces are rare. Did they only come on SWB models? Got any pics of how they look bolted up on the underside?

Here's a pic of them on my cruiser, it's a SWB too. Gives you the general positions, if you want better pics showing the bolts holes for them etc let me know as its still on my lift.

IMG-2937.jpg

You can see in my pic that the rearmost of the cruiser is exposed, this is the area I'm asking if an aftermarket cover / covers are available for? I suppose one could be made up a sheet of flat steel, exhaust hanging down might be a problem though and the rear axle / diff, maybe if the cover just came to beside the exhaust or something.

They were standard fit on the 95 AFAIK, mine has them

Having had both LWB and SWB Colorados and off roaded them extensively I think you'd be doing well to hit anything there. There reason they don't make them is that there isn't a demand for them.

Hi does this mean that the 6th generation Hilux Front plate fit the 90 series? As it has the same chassis as the mk3 4Runner?

So will this fit the 90 series?

I'm not looking for rear ones to protect against large objects hitting the rear parts whilst hardcore off-roading, I'm looking for them to prevent muck and water splashing and general dirt getting thrown up there to help prevent future rust issues.

More likey to just trap dirt and moisture. Clean it all down well and use proper underseal products.

My Australian domestic market 90 series has the front 2 steel ones, not sure about the plastic ones, don't think it does have these over the trans if that's where they go, but it does have a steel guard on the main fuel tank and a plastic one on the sub fuel tank. Not sure if they have just been lost over the last 20 years or if it's because the V6 has the cross exhaust pipe running under the trans which looks like it would touch these plastic ones.

The problem with extending the guards further back is that the rear propshaft has to be able to 'droop', so you'd need a cut out of some sort down the middle wide enough to take the slight lateral movement of the propshaft when one wheel or the other drops. Also, obviously, you can't cover the rear axle because that too moves down, which is a shame as that's the worst rot spot (apart from the sills maybe). And for the same reason you can't protect the rear trailing arms as they have to be able to move. Once you've ruled that out, there's not much left to protect apart from the floor pan (which I don't think is a particular rust spot).

The front mk6 hilux has diferent steering components vs the 90 series and 4runners, so I think the under tray could be different. By the way, Hilux surfs/4runners, same thing pretty much.

Thanks, found some photos of the mk6 they do look different...

I don't understand why Toyota omitted the plastic guards on LWBs (is that right?). They work brill on the SWB, protecting the gearbox and transfer box. Yes they're plastic, but pretty tough as plastic goes. They 've taken some severe knocks when I've been laning. I assume you could just drill and tap some appropriate holes into the chassis to fit them to a LWB. I'd second the point that they're common as muck at scrappies, who are mainly interested in engines and gearboxes for export sales.

:text-+1: I think it was an ASFIR set of alloy protection plates i tried unsuccessfully to convince myself might be better than what i had already .

Back