Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Attention 1KZT-E gurus! From a swapped LJ73 owner

Mako

Hello all! First post. Name's Dave, I'm currently in Spain and may buy an LJ73/R150F that has a 3.0L 1KZT-E swapped in. Stock rig, no aftermarket except 32" tires.

I drove it and I can barely feel any turbo "push" at all. Wondering if that is normal for this engine? I've never driven a 1KZT-E before. It accelerates fine, smooth, no drop in power, but there's no turbo hit that I can detect.

With the language barrier it's a bit difficult to communicate some questions.

He says the turbo is good. (Is it a CT12b or a CT20?) The truck has an intercooler system plumbed in. No idea if he has done anything to adjust boost, fuel tuning, etc. Exhaust looks to be stock, no big dump pipes or any 3" tubing, etc.

Truck has almost no visible smoke from exhaust. Engine runs super smoothly.

I've driven a turbo 2H and although quite a different animal (6-cyl, 4.0L), I could feel the turbo hit on that rig. Ditto for a 12H-T in an HJ61 (again, whole different animal).

I did notice the tach was not functioning and the green and red "Turbo" lights did not illuminate while driving. Dumb question but, could this affect turbo in any way (I figure not, but WTH, ask anyway).

I know this is a small 4-cyl engine, and probably a small turbo. Just wondering from 1KZT-E owners how much I should be noticing the turbo once it spools up and goes. Thanks all,

Dave

2016-10-20-PHOTO-00000019.jpg 2016-10-20-PHOTO-00000020.jpg 2016-10-20-PHOTO-00000023.jpg 2016-10-20-PHOTO-00000024.jpg 2016-10-20-PHOTO-00000029.jpg

welcome to the forum!

These turbos spool up very quick and aren't very noticeable. Like you said the power delivery is very smooth. The turbo is normally fully spooled around 2200rpm (depending on load). You should definitely hear the turbo working, when applying throttle and quickly backing off, do you? If the turbo was dead/not working, you'd know for sure, and I'm also fairly sure it'd trigger the check engine light. Also, these turbo's are pretty bulletproof.

Nice work on that intercooler setup, mind sharing some more pics?

Okay cool and thanks Beau for the information. Sure, I'll post up some more pics tomorrow (away from truck at the moment).--Dave

Oh and Beau--had a fella say it might actually be a 1KZ-T--does that look like a boost compensator under the intake manifold? The paperwork SAYS it has a 1KZT-E in it, but it's my first time owning a KZ-spec truck. Can you tell from the pics?

Well well well...it may indeed be a 1KZT, not TE...here are pics of a -TE, and you can see the wiring going to the glow plug bar (Pre-heat I think) that mine does not have....thoughts? Anyway I'm away frpom truck and I'll check for the location of the ECU.

1KZ-TE TB.JPG DSCN5735copy.jpg

well, I think you might be right! I see that someone has converted what used to be a 1KZT-E into just a 1KZT, with the use of the mechanical pump designed for the engine. More pics of the injection pump will confirm this, but from zooming in on your photos, that's what it looks like.

I can also see that the Throttle position sensor has been relocated due to your new intake piece, meaning that you must have an auto trans, correct?

You don't seem to have the standard glow plug wiring, but someone has wired in (Red wire) some kind of glow plug relay/circuit to the engine.

Going back to your original question, to confirm whether the turbo is function right, a cheap boost gauge temporarily plumbed in will let you know.

By the way, I see the truck is RHD, where are you located?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Beau for your sharp eyes. Hadn't known about the TPS location as like I mentioned I'm a first time 1KZ person, although I've had 3B, 12H-T and 13B-T Land Cruisers before (Aussie BJ42, HJ61, BJ74).

I'm near Malaga, Spain and the truck is a (I assume) Spanish LJ73, it's LHD. It's got a R150F trans, 5-speed manual, I drove it myself so I know it's there.

What does the TPS relocate mean to you? Thanks Beau.

211609593_1.jpg 211609593_3.jpg 211609593_5.jpg 211609593_8.jpg

I was wrong, there is no TPS sensor. It was something nearby your master cylinder that confused me.

Looks like a nice neat truck!

Looks like a TE to me , the throttle cable is normally bolted to the throttle body so needs relocated slightly when you fit an intercooler .

Turbo on my 1kz-te is very obvious though as Beau say's its almost always engaged .

I hesitate to suggest because i could be wrong
that possibly you are not feeling the true benefit of the turbo because the ecu is not recognizing the input of the intercooler and so not electronically increasing fuel to match the boost as much as it should . It doesn't seem possible but when i fitted my intercooler the truck just wasn't giving me what i knew it could until i moved the sensors from the intake into the intercooler .

Looks like a TE to me , the throttle cable is normally bolted to the throttle body so needs relocated slightly when you fit an intercooler .

Turbo on my 1kz-te is very obvious though as Beau say's its almost always engaged .

I hesitate to suggest because i could be wrong
that possibly you are not feeling the true benefit of the turbo because the ecu is not recognizing the input of the intercooler and so not electronically increasing fuel to match the boost as much as it should . It doesn't seem possible but when i fitted my intercooler the truck just wasn't giving me what i knew it could until i moved the sensors from the intake into the intercooler .

Shayne, if you look closer you'll see theirs no TPS sensor at all, and that the bracket was moved to accommodate the mechanical injection pump. No intake pressure sensor as well (the one that normally goes on the black plastic intake leading to the turbo inlet)

I have just worked out how to expand the pics and looking for a vacuum pipe that would run the boost compensater could that be it behind the steering fluid reservoir ?

Yes, I think so. These won't need a MAF sensor so it's just a straight vacuum pipe from manifold to the compensator on the pump

Back