Auto box changes up/down when in L

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Had a weird one today.

Went for a little bit of off road round a small chalk quarry I've been to a few times today. Popped it in low range and went for the steeper hill climb. Struggled a bit, spinning wheels then got up. Ahh, didn't switch centre diff lock on. Popped it on (first time here after doing the plug mod) and trundled around in L.

I then found it was hunting up and down between two gears and the L light on the dash was flickering, pretty much in time with the gears. So, stuck it in 2 for the rest of the time and all was well thereafter.

Is this normal after pulling the plug on the transfer box for the CDL (i'm guessing not) or has anyone else come across it.

Not had the chance to look into it, at all but I suspect something electrical with the electronic auto box (being the later one).

Any thoughts, ideas, experience etc appreciated. [emoji4] thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I drove about 120 miles in low box round Wales and it acted as normal no issues at all.I also have the switch and unplugged the low box sensor for the diff lock.

Thanks Andy, I thought as much. I will have to put this on my list to inspect when the weather gets better. I suspect a loose connection somewhere as this is what it looked like on the dash lamp.

Thanks for posting. [emoji4]

Anyone have any info on the switching that selects the gears on the later auto box on my 94 81 as when in 'L' and driving generally I can move the selector slightly, mostly if I move it to the left, I can cause the shifting issue at will so it's down to whatever switch controls the gear selection.

the selector position sensor is on the outside of the gearbox, passenger side. Wiggling the selector side to side shouldn't directly effect that switch though so it could be the linkage needs adjusting or the side to side is causing a bit of forward/back motion? Sometimes that sensor gets wet inside and the contacts corrode. It's very simple construction if you have to open it up for a look.

Thanks Jon, I will give that a looksee. Corroded contacts sounds plausible.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back