Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

auto transmission oil change

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
I dropped the automatic gearbox oil today,it looked black and the filter was well dirty.I'm pleased I decided to change it.
What mileage or timeline is advisable?
I drive offroad every day in the winter and then city driving in the summer.
I'm on about 150,000 miles.
Cheers

Every 3rd oil change was what Toyota suggested for the 90 series petrol - so every 27k miles. (That was for the 5Z-FE V6 petrol on 9k mile oil changes)

all done and feeling smoother,filter needed replacing,eventually managed to get 7 litres in.
why isn't there a dipstick?
not easy to check the level

I suck it out the dipstick tube every other engine oil change. Measure how much comes out, and replace the same amout.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
By checking the level normally underneath.
No dipstick tube on this auto trans.

Not so easy as Toolsplus says, it means rolling around underneath.

Last edited:
I still can't understand why Toyota did away with the dipstick and made not only oil changing but even checking the level such a faff when the 5 speed box arrived.

The filler point is half way up the box and no way are you going to gravity refill, unless you feed a long pipe down from the engine bay, so you need a pump of some sort.

In comparison, changing the autobox oil on my Forester is a doddle, sump plug off it drains in minutes, refil via the disptick tube witrh suitable funnel, no need to check or replace the filter because it has a spin on filter which looks exactly like the engine oil filter but works differently by filtering constantly only a fraction of the massive oil flow instead of all which an engine filter does.
The font diff also has its own dipstick under the bonnet, the only transmission fluid needing a level check via rermover a filler/level plug is the rear diff.

Why did you do this Toyota, we like Toyotas because they are made to be maintained wherever one happens to be without needing workshop facilities, bring back the dipstick.
Wonder if the new revamped 70 series still has a dipstick?

well said Juddian.
I'm going to fit a steel bonnet stay before Toyota's hydraulic stays fail and fall on me again. I like old school

Back