Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

bearing/bench press

yogi

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
Was thinking of getting a 10 tonne or there abouts press.

Not a thing I know an awful lot about, I've used them a few times, but thats about it.

Any recommendations on a good brand, what I should expect to pay etc?

Its not going to get a huge amount of use, but like all these things, its not going to run away, so once it is there, it is there for ever.

Found out today Yogi i could have bought a press for what a garage charged to do the bushes . That said i asked about presses before and and it seems for our trucks cutting the old bush sleeve out with a reciprocal saw is the favored method .

Found out today Yogi i could have bought a press for what a garage charged to do the bushes . That said i asked about presses before and and it seems for our trucks cutting the old bush sleeve out with a reciprocal saw is the favored method .

Cutting the metal sleeve is the ONLY way to get those type bushes out. Its easier to use a hacksaw IMHO, a reciprocal saw is too likely to mark the inner face of the suspension arm and make it even harder to get the new one in. I read your earlier post and wondered how in the world they didn't realize there was a sleeve on the rubber :icon-surprised:

I've been looking at presses too and will get at least a 20t press (possibly 30t) as you often read stories about how greater than 10t pressure was required to budge things. I don't want the press to be taking up room in my workshop only for it not to be up to the job when I need it...

Me too. I've decided that if I do get one it'll be a 20 ton press, and I'll get it from SGS Engineering. They have a fleabay shop and their website is useful - various models to choose from. None of them are a bottle-jack upside down - all seem to be proper hydraulic rams. I needed a new garage jack and bought their 3 ton one with extender arms and 6 ton axle stands and it arrived next working day and is really solid. Makes my Machine Mart 3ton jack look like TinkerToy stuff ...

IMO Shayne, the press is probably more useful for getting the new bushes in without battering them to death!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back