Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bearing drone or ???

HiUp

Country Flag
uk
2004 LC5 Auto 100,174 miles.

I have a noise - like a drone that started recently. It gets louder when I turn the steering wheel to the right and seems to greatly diminish when I steer left. I had the nearside bearing and caliper changed (the caliper was sticking on) and new pads for both front brakes. Cost for that £500:icon-surprised: The noise persists. I have it booked in for the offside bearing to be changed so expect that will cost another £250:cry:. If that solves my problem I will be happy. If not????
Can anyone tell me what else the noise could be? When rolling down hill if I slip the auto box in to neutral the noise is the same. Could it still be a transmission bearing? My local mechanic says if it is not the offside wheel bearing then the repair will be beyond his capabilities.
Do you think Mr Toyota would give advice/quote or would I have to book it in for tests then get a mortgage to get it back? I have avoided using them so far.
Any help would be appreciated:pray:

Last edited:
Sounds like wheel bearing. Unless you've got your own axle stands, by which you could raise the truck off the ground and run it safely in gear and take a walk around it listening where the drone is coming from, it's anyone's guess.

What amazes me (and depresses me) is that your service workshop hasn't done this themselves, so that the problem is properly diagnosed. Just changing a wheel bearing because it might have failed is unforgivable. It may be your only option, but for goodness sake, would you have a liver transplant on a hunch that there may be something wrong with your liver? No way.

What's the matter with vehicle workshops these days?:icon-rolleyes:

Clive.

Thanks for your reply.

My mechanic said he has done this but as there is no load on the wheels/bearings during this test - so it was not conclusive. When I take it in next week - he will try to attach a listening device to the bearing area so that he can monitor the noise whilst driving it?? He has ordered the new wheel bearing for me but he can return it if its not required. Having said that - I believe you should always replace both wheel bearings at the same time.
I have lifted the beast myself - removed the front wheels - backed off the disk brake pads in both front calipers - refitted the wheels without touching the brakes - and looked for any play or noise whilst turning the wheels and pushing and pulling on them - and found nothing.

I may go in to a Mr Toyota dealers before my beast goes back to my local mechanic and see if I can get any advice but I'm not hopeful. They may be very helpful :laughing-rolling: or they may not :eusa-snooty:. I will post how I get on.

I'm not convinced that a Toyota dealer/workshop will be any better than the next non-Toyota workshop, it's all a bit pot-luck in my experience.

It's more down to the diligence of individuals doing the diagnosis and the repairs. Wish you luck with sorting it. Clearly something is not right and its luck of the draw them finding it quickly, without replacing parts that are not at fault, on a hunch.

the wheel bearings on the 120 are a sealed unit, they are quite hard to detect any play in. i would say that your looking into it too much. you pretty much diagnosed it from the off. if it doesnt cure the noise (which i would say 99.9% it will) then look into further problems.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've changed both my front bearings. Symptoms exactly as you describe. But both times it was clear they had gone. Jacked up the corner suspected and pulled the wheel and you could feel the play in the bearing. Maybe I just left mine that much longer! The only awkward bit to changing them is getting the old bearing off. Both times I resorted to cutting them off with a grinder, doing my best not to nick the stub axle, although it's not the end of the world if you do.

Thanks for your input guys. I guess I will change the other wheel bearing and keep my fingers crossed. If it works :dance: If it doesn't :think:. I will let you know!!

The second (offside) wheel bearing has been changed and ............all is well:icon-biggrin:. The noise has gone.

My mechanic rang me shortly after he started to warn me that the speed sensor would not come off (corroded) and he was frightened it might break. I asked him if he could do the job without removing it or damaging and he said he would try. He did and he was successful. I glad as the cost of a replacement speed sensor is just short of £200:shock: - plus fitting.

He informed me that the dust cover at the back of the brake disk disintegrated due to corrosion so now I don't have one that side. (Does this matter?)

What is it with corrosion on our super reliable Land Cruisers? Surely Toyota could do a better job of making their vehicles more 'road proof'.

Anyway, I'm happy now and driving silently around again.

Should I look at replacing that missing dust cover? I don't really want to touch anything in case corroded parts cause more grief!

I've had no dust guard on one hub for 2 years. I forgot to put it back when I changed the bearing. Will be putting it back this weekend when I do the CVJ boot, but no noticeable problem with it not being there.

Back