Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BEB's and handbrake day....

Bernese

Country Flag
england
Being a 12 valve and with no evidence of the big end bearings being done its was a no brainer so as planed I met up with Chris and thanks to Andy had the use of his four post lift for the day. All went well and to be fair once removed we found the Toyota shells to be in very good condition. No bother at least I know their done and it certainly wasn't time or money wasted IMO...

I sourced two replacement rear backing plates as the originals were shagged and Chris unpacked the all new shineyshiny hand brake parts and to cut a long story short thankfully Andy had oxy bottles on site as everything you could think of was seized/rusted solid combined with a cracked rear disc and to top it all off although the pads and shoes were in good condition we found an old pad backing plate rolling round inside the disc ... Don't ask :anguished:

Thankfull Andy came to the rescue with a few additional parts otherwise we would never have accomplished as much as we did. Still a bit to do but my thanks to Chris who worked his butt off and Andy who dove in with assistance when nessesary... Thanks guys...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Fireworks curtesy of Andy ...

image.jpeg

And I learned a valuable lesson too. Never, ever, work on someone else's car :lol:

It was good but long day Des that's for sure. We've more to do but I think mechanically, it will be a sound truck. When the old backing plate fell out of the drum, I looked up to see where it had fallen from. I couldn't believe my eyes. I can't even imagine how it ever got in there in the first place. Well resurrect the handbrake next and then look at the front axle. At least for now you have all the correct parts in your calipers.

BTW could you start spraying that handbrake cable balance / pivot point on the back axle. We'll need to get that moving. So if you could wire brush it and spray it between now and the 11th me might be in front for once.

And I learned a valuable lesson too. Never, ever, work on someone else's car :lol:

BTW could you start spraying that handbrake cable balance / pivot point on the back axle. We'll need to get that moving. So if you could wire brush it and spray it between now and the 11th me might be in front for once.

Make sure you bring some "snap " next time pal just in case lol

Wire brush and penetrating oil at the ready... :)

Blimey, the way that disc is cracked, it looks like the caliper has or had been seized for some time, and getting it bloody hot.

I had an old Chrysler 180 once upon a time, I know, I know... that thing had rear disc pads that once the fiber had worn off, there was nothing to hold the pad backing plate into the caliper, they would just drop out onto the road.

Previous owner said the back brake was noisy when I bought it off him for £50, turned out the caliper pistons were doing the braking, no sign of any pads :lol:.

Great job done there “team” what a forum this is. :clap::clap::clap:

Blimey, the way that disc is cracked, it looks like the caliper has or had been seized for some time, and getting it bloody hot.

Must have been at some point Clive but the sheer size and weight of the 80 I think masked the issue. As for the brake metal pad in the disc it must have been wedged in as the abs ring outer edge was scored but not to the extent of being defunct... thankfully..

Being a 12 valve and with no evidence of the big end bearings being done its was a no brainer so as planed I met up with Chris and thanks to Andy had the use of his four post lift for the day. All went well and to be fair once removed we found the Toyota shells to be in very good condition. No bother at least I know their done and it certainly wasn't time or money wasted IMO...

I sourced two replacement rear backing plates as the originals were shagged and Chris unpacked the all new shineyshiny hand brake parts and to cut a long story short thankfully Andy had oxy bottles on site as everything you could think of was seized/rusted solid combined with a cracked rear disc and to top it all off although the pads and shoes were in good condition we found an old pad backing plate rolling round inside the disc ... Don't ask :anguished:

Thankfull Andy came to the rescue with a few additional parts otherwise we would never have accomplished as much as we did. Still a bit to do but my thanks to Chris who worked his butt off and Andy who dove in with assistance when nessesary... Thanks guys...

View attachment 135883

View attachment 135880

View attachment 135879

View attachment 135881

Fireworks curtesy of Andy ...

View attachment 135882

Yes Des it was a good but interesting day. Lucky I has a good rear disc which I sold you on an "exchange" basis.

Like Chris said, " We'll get there with it".

See you on the 11th.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lucky I has a good rear disc which I sold you on an "exchange" basis.

Like Chris said, " We'll get there with it".

See you on the 11th.

Cheers Andy ...

by the way being a cheeky yorkshire lad ... can i have the other side as a matching pair :fearscream::wink:

Back