Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BIG wheels and tyres (Chris??)

Wonder why the "Landcruiser" monster truck has a Chevrolet badge on the grille?

Interesting siping, I wonder how well they preform in the snow...

No good to most of us as they are 15"

Rob, I think that they would fit a later 80 series due to the offset on the wheels. I have known later 80 series to run wheels like that. Just out of my price range!

Strictly off road though. Like most, my truck is my DD as well. I tried some borrowed beadlock rims and the balancing was all over the place. Spent half a day chatting to the friendly at the "good" tyre fitting place in town and he assured me that balancing beadlocks to a standard good enough for asphalt was near on impossible. I went for two sets of wheels/tyres in the end.

All the rims are the same 10" 16's one set with GG AT2's and the other with BFG MUDs both sets 305x70. They work a treat and I can run the MUDs in the winter when the snow comes. They're great in soft snow, but like most tyres not so good on ice. I carry a set of chains in the winter, just a pair for the back. Bloody heavy, but a great insurance policy!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tell me more, not heard of balancing beads before. Beads as in small balls I presume, if you pardon the expression! Oops!

Yes thats the ones, as used in coach tyres. Some people use the beads for BB guns.

OKO tyre sealant works very well too and has more than one benefit. Plus it is significantly cheaper to buy and you can fit it in minutes. Less than £30 for a whole truck. Dyna beads are about £90 last time I looked.

My 37s were impossible to drive over 50 mph. 1 lit of liquid in there and they behave all the up to 70 now.

Chris

OKO tyre sealant works very well too and has more than one benefit. Plus it is significantly cheaper to buy and you can fit it in minutes. Less than £30 for a whole truck. Dyna beads are about £90 last time I looked.

My 37s were impossible to drive over 50 mph. 1 lit of liquid in there and they behave all the up to 70 now.

Chris
Dyna beads are £13.27 per tyre for 285/75/16. I tried using a tyre sealant in my Lexus Chris and the tyre mechanic couldn't balance them :think: so they got put on rear and fronts were balanced conventionally.

But you don't balance them when you have put sealant in Chas - that IS the balancing. If you balance your tyres first and then put the goo in afterwards, you shouldn't have any balance issues. That sounds cheap for the beads. I was looking at how much I needed for my 9.00 - 16s and it was slightly more than that due to size. As I said, around £90 for 5 tyres.

But you don't balance them when you have put sealant in Chas - that IS the balancing. If you balance your tyres first and then put the goo in afterwards, you shouldn't have any balance issues. That sounds cheap for the beads. I was looking at how much I needed for my 9.00 - 16s and it was slightly more than that due to size. As I said, around £90 for 5 tyres.
I got the price of the beads from http://www.dynabeads.co.uk/auto4x4.php Which said 8oz per tyre so I went to checkout to see what the price was and it said £13.27 for 8oz

LT285​

75​

16​

D​

8oz / 236.5g​
so £85.32 is similar to what your price was.

If the sealant IS the balancing then why would it not balance on his twirly machine:confusion-confused:

Yes but goo is a fiver a wheel and stops punctures. Doesn't need the bead breaking to put it in either. Plus you can carry a bottle with you for road side issues, squirted in, in seconds and you're away. 2 products in one.

Chris

Paul the BBs actually wear so I understand and fill the tyre with plastic dust. There are some proper ones which look like BBs. I have 4 packets in my garage. Never bothered with them as the goo worked. You need sufficient weight to make the beads work. On a massive heavy tyre like mine, a few grammes of beads isn't enough. They're like 60 KG each

Last edited:
If the sealant IS the balancing then why would it not balance on his twirly machine:confusion-confused:

The balancing machine is confused by the dynamic balancing effect of the goo

Because Rob, when it spins it's in balance. But when the machine stops, the liquid drops to the bottom of the tyre. So where do you stick the weights? But with fluid in, my point was that it should balance. Could be that the machine doesn't spin quite fast enough.

C

just a warning
if using beads for a bb gun to balance tyres, put a shot glass full of radiator antifreeze in there aswell as this stops the plastic from freezing together in cold climats and making the balance even worse than it was to begin with

Back