Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Blanking out number plates...why?

warrenpfo

Just been going through the posts and noticed a few pictures with the number plates blanked out and it got me thinking why do people do it i cant see a problem with your number plate showing unless you are doing something wrong.

I've wondered the same. We have them on show while driving. Not sure why people do it.

I just think it's courtesy. When i post pics of mine i don't bother because i don't mind people knowing my plate, but i don't post pics of other peoples plates, even though most of them don't mind and a lot of us know each others plates anyway!

Is there not some risk of your car being cloned by criminals? If they have a stolen black 120 they can get a suitable reg number off the forum ..? I used to blank the plate but thought the same thing so don't bother anymore.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

ignat said:
Is there not some risk of your car being cloned by criminals? If they have a stolen black 120 they can get a suitable reg number off the forum ..?

I see your point but would have thought its just as easy to drive around until you see a car in the same colour and take its plates.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
if someone wanted theirs hidden in my pic, I would do it but as for cloning.... Stand on any motorway exist with a notebook.

The voices made me do it :lol: I do it out of courtesy but also because I don't trust the rambling anti 4x4 brigade enough to have them sit at home noting time, place, vehicle and registration numbers we've provided so they can make complaints about how they were intimidated by all these 4x4's going past then on a track when really they were at home watching the match. That's all they have to do to make it stick as a complaint and they're mean spirited cunning vindictive little bstrds so I wouldn't put it past them :twisted:

I sense some animosity Jon towards certain folk? :lol:

The worst case i knew of this was when i had an L200 warrior. There was an open off road day run BY Mitsubishi with instructors FROM Mitsubishi to show owners what they could do.
Anyway, some time after one of the members of the owners club had an engine blow and the truck was under warranty, but was refused by his Mitsi dealer as they had pulled pics from the owners club website and said he exceeded the wading depth and invalidated his warranty.
This was the start of the warranty battles as in this country it is the Colt Car Company and not actually Mitsi.

Same as with that facebook stuff, I like a bit of privacy now and again.

I like my riding and most of the time you don't see a single soul on your outings.
But when very specific details are reveiled you end up with weird results.

Some radical green monster group thought it would be great to tension some cable over the track on an illegal MX trail up next to a major city in Belgium.
Result someone nearly lost his head.

Some ATV clubs post their outings on social networks and are amazed when anti-ATV locals are up at the crack of dawn to prevent them passing.

These days with Gps, electronic maps, global communication, etc... you are never really alone on a track. So why not enjoy the countryside in small adventurous groups rather than Paris-Dakar type events.

Even Paris-Dakar has suffered from its popularity.

A couple of reasons:

- To prevent cloning. Yes, of course you could sit and watch on a road for a while to get registrations, but, frankly, I think you'd be waiting for a long time to see an 80 in the same colour as mine. Certainly round here you don't see very many, and I don't think I've seen one the same colour on the road.

- To prevent people getting hold of your address. It's pretty easy to get the registered keeper and address info from the DVLA from a number plate.

Back