Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bosch oil filter or Toyota?

Rob

Garage
Well my 80 needs a service soon and I have just looked on http://www.carparts4less.co.uk and found that they do a Bosch oil filter for £7.14 with free delivery. Now I'm no fan of cheap filters and previously I could not find any decent ones online so always bought Toyota. The Bosch one has a none return valve like to Toyota so (opening a can of worms here :cool: ) is the Toyota one worth the extra money?

I have been using the Bosch filters on my colorado for about 10 years now and not a problem. Bosch are a good brand!

I would recommend a genuine fuel filter as I have looked inside the genuine one and the other brands, and you can see the difference in filtration as well as weight. :thumbup:

No definitely not Boschi, would never fit one of those.

An OE filter may be more expensive but considering how often you change them, IMO, they are worth it, no question. With an OE you know for sure that they are up to spec.

Bosch is not exactly a brand know for sub-standard parts, also the Toyota one delivered is about 3 times the price...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The t0yota filter actually contains two filter elements, one for full flow and one by-pass. And therefore also two valves, one check valve and one by-pass valve.
I suggest opening up one t0yo and one bosch to see the difference.

Here is a schematic drawing of the original t0yo filter, and how it connects with the bigger picture:
(the filter housing is the dot-dash-line)
6792115659_d59749c7f6_z.jpg

Rob, obviously there is something of a trade-off here - without testing them properly, I would hold the view that the OEM filter is superior to the Bosch. However if you're doing routine (<5000 mile) oil changes and you're not planning any dusty overland routes or using low grade (high Sulphur) diesel then the oil won't be under too much strain and the Bosch should be fine.
If you're planning longer service intervals using fully syn oil or whatever, then the Bosch might be a false economy. Chances are you'll never know the difference using the Bosch :mrgreen:

Just to change the topic slightly .
I've always used Blue print filters and never had any issues .
Ive always thought a filter was a filter :| :|

Here comes the can of worms

geordie_boy1978 said:

Filters have different types of filtration. Especially the fuel filters. If you use toyota Genuine filters for fuel you will most likely never have a blockage in your fuel Pump.

I used to use anything and about 6 months ago I had a bad blockage and my colorado would not move above 5 mph. , I had to clean out the fuel Injector Pump as the filters were blocked and problem solved. Its worth using Genuine fuel filters as I have proven.

Not too sure on genuine Oil filters, as said above it depends on how often you service it.

I think Gav might have two 80 series OEM filters, I don't have them any more I checked so he must have them! They would be the bigger ones if he does, worth asking him to have a look in his parts store? :mrgreen:

Beau said:
geordie_boy1978 said:

Filters have different types of filtration. Especially the fuel filters. If you use toyota Genuine filters for fuel you will most likely never have a blockage in your fuel Pump.

I used to use anything and about 6 months ago I had a bad blockage and my colorado would not move above 5 mph. , I had to clean out the fuel Injector Pump as the filters were blocked and problem solved. Its worth using Genuine fuel filters as I have proven.

Not too sure on genuine Oil filters, as said above it depends on how often you service it.

how do you know this couldn't/wouldn't have happened with a genuine filter? :think:

Another slightly off-topic post:
One tip I adopted years ago is to use a magnetic oil trap. Easiest way to make one is to use a strong magnet (a rare earth magnet out of an old hard drive is ideal) and clamp it to the side of the filter. Performs much the same job as a magnetic sump plug only better. Magnetic oil traps have been used in avaiation engines for years. I've used one on all the bikes I've had for the last 20 years. You can, or used to be able to buy spin-on magnetic traps which spin on to the oil filter mount and then the filter spins on to the top of this but I've not seen one for ages. IMO they were quite expensive for something you can replicate for next to nothing. I once cut open an old filter after using the magnet trick and you could see minute metallic particles stuck to the side of the filter can. Looked like wet metalic paint.

Jon Wildsmith said:
I think Gav might have two 80 series OEM filters, I don't have them any more I checked so he must have them! They would be the bigger ones if he does, worth asking him to have a look in his parts store? :mrgreen:
Thanks Jon :thumbup:

ben said:
Beau said:
geordie_boy1978 said:

how do you know this couldn't/wouldn't have happened with a genuine filter? :think:

I guess I cant exactly prove this. However I have looked inside both Genuine and Bosch filters and the genuine one has twice as much coils and much closer wrapped paper, and also weighs more than Bosch one. It is therefore my assumption that it would be a good idea to use Genuine filters, especially for fuel!

Thanks for the input guys. I have sent an email to Bosch asking a few questions about their filter and potential environment it could be used in including service intervals etc. Will report back as soon as I get an email back from them.

uHu, thanks for confirming those details regarding the construction of the filter, I knew that the OEM ones are not just a standard filter that you see on most cars. Just one question, did you get that from a FSM?

Andrew, there may or may not be a trade of here so that's what I am trying to find out. Bosch are a OEM supplier to many car companies so I expect decent quality from them and I have always used them on other cars as they are readily available for VAG engines and Volvo engines which generally don't have fancy dual filter elements or valves if any. I run 6k oil changes on semi synthetic oil in the LC with occasional dusty/overlanding/mud-plugging conditions use :mrgreen:

Towpack said:
Another slightly off-topic post:
Easiest way to make one is to use a strong magnet (a rare earth magnet out of an old hard drive is ideal) and clamp it to the side of the filter. Performs much the same job as a magnetic sump plug only better.

I like the sound of that . Got a couple of hard drive magnets on the side of the fridge holding the kids pictures onto it...

NOT ANY MORE :D :D :D They will be stuck onto my oil filter in the morning

The previous post is a clip from the FSM, yes; or, to be specific, from the introduction of the new LC100 in 1998.
Here's a pic of the innards:
6797577323_b602889fa1_b.jpg

Toyota dont make their own filters,they have them made for them by one of their japanese contractors.
I think Sakura make the toyota OEM
http://www.sakuracatalogue.com/filter/s ... r_home.php
You might be able to buy these and bypass the dealers extortionate prices.

But Toyota sub contractors are not the only ones that can make good filtration equipment.
There is lots of companies like Donaldsons who make top quality filters for Landcruisers.
Ive never bought a Toyota filter in nine years and never had a problem

Back