Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brakes poor after changing pads

Are all the caliper pistons free, if you have some sticking after being pushed all the way in then you will have reduced braking effort, can be worthwhile carefully lifting the dust seals and giving the pistons a spray and blow out to remove any crap caught in them

Cheers
It’s a good point though I had the lot apart a year or so back and refurbed them. I don’t suppose they would have degraded in that time…would they?

I wouldn’t expect so soon, take one pad out at a time and get someone to to press the brake pedal, you should see the pistons move out at a similar speed, at least that will rule out the calipers

Cheers

I wouldn’t expect so soon, take one pad out at a time and get someone to to press the brake pedal, you should see the pistons move out at a similar speed, at least that will rule out the calipers

Cheers
Hmm, that’s certainly worth trying. Good thought, thanks. :thumbup:

A bit of an update on this, after having done some heavy braking things have certainly improved but I’m pretty sure they aren’t performing as well as the set I pulled out. I’m tempted to pull these and try the set without the bevels on them as they’re clearly different.

The sponginess has gone but I’m still having to stand on the pedal harder since the change which should have settled down by now.

I was impressed with the original Milner ones I fitted but these are a different type with the bevels on them.

Glad the sponginess has gone as expected, the materials used in brake pads/shoes varies from one manufacturer to another. Harder materials take longer to bed in, last longer but need higher pedal pressure and are harder on the disc faces, they can also be more inclined to squeal, the 80 is not known for brake pad longevity so harder pads may help in this area?

Softer pads bed in quickly, are easy on the pedal giving better retardation for less effort and easier on the discs to boot however, they do not last as long and fade earlier. The bevel presents less surface area to the disc face to help with the increased pedal pressure, you might want to spend some time and try to get used to them, in particular if your discs have wear and will need replacing at the next pad change?

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, discs are about 5 years old now and have minimal wear, so I won’t be looking at changing them any time soon.

I think the crux of the matter, for me at least, is that the pads have changed design if not composition since last time I used them. To the point where I’ve got one set bevelled and one set not in the same parcel from Milners.

I had no issue with the ones I’ve just replaced from Milners hence getting another two sets in. When I get time I’ll swap for the non bevelled set and see if I can feel any difference though unless the truck goes on a brake tester this is going to be somewhat subjective.

I still think that having 30% less brake pad surface due to bevelling (yes it is really that much) is going to give 30% less braking force.

PSI is increased on the disc with same pedal pressure though Richard? a bit complicated to work out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
PSI is increased on the disc with same pedal pressure though Richard? a bit complicated to work out.
Hadn’t thought of that Frank, obvious with hindsight (isn’t everything?). There must come a point though when brake material x pad pressure works out at less braking force?

Like you say, complicated! :)

Back