Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bringing a US-Spec FZJ in the UK

Tachycardic

Country Flag
united_states
Hello! I'm prepping to ship my 80-series over to the UK and was wondering if I can get some advice on what the MOT is like? The vehicle is currently in Nevada, and all we have to do is pass an emissions test. I heard that US-spec cars have to have amber lights front and rear, and that it also needs side marker lights, or they will need to be installed. Are the 2 little red side marker lights in the rear enough, or do I need additional ones further to the front? I'm also running LED head lights and have heard that those may need to be replaced. Just looking for some experience on the issue so I can prep for any potential surprises and avoid disappointments. Thanks in advance!

Welcome. Start here
You may also need an IVA too

You may have to wait until you are at your station to find out what rules apply for your truck but you will have to get uk spec headlights that dip to the left if you go the 2nd hand route there are a few sellers in the club that are good maybe someone is going stateside with a truck and do a straight swap but the lamps will be OK that is the best I can help you with one more thing is if your tyres stick out of the wheel arches by inches you will have to get them covered by cutsnake or something similar let us know when you are settled in station as there might be a club meet up in the future and for you to share in the beers bbq and TALL stories round a fire cheers steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome. I can’t confirm directly but I am close to Mildenhall and Lakenheath adn the vehicles I see running from there on UK registrations are not compliant with any of the requirments I would need to make, as you mention above. They are UK registered but do not have side repeaters, rear fog etc fitted. So I assume that there is an exemption for you.

I imported my UK spec 80 from UK to Spain, swapping the headlights is obviously needed, and having two rear fog lights covers the left/right issue. So where were the problems? The OE tow bar had to be removed, I had to prove the side steps were original, and tyres sizes were as per OE.

Whilst not on the scale of your move, UK MOT inspectors tend to be shall we say a little more savvy IMO? One of the issues when bring US cars to Europe was with the chassis numbers, many countries do not have computers that accept less than 17 numbers? So check that out.

Personally I would declare any and all modifications to your insurance company in an email to them, that's where the dicks can really be found!

Regards

Dave

image1.jpeg

Frank the Tank made it across the pond relatively unscathed. Only the rear "Toyota Land Cruiser" emblem fell off and was lost, and the AC no longer works (worked fine prior to shipment). He needs a rear fog light, a couple of white daytime driving lights up front, and side markers before the MOT.

Are you importing it? If so I don't think it will need a mot.

I checked...I'm not exempt from the MOT. I have to do the light conversion first, then pass the MOT in order to get the V5.

So if you are going for a v5 then you are importing so agree mot needed

As above no need for drls.

That's fellas. The MOT guy said I needed some daytime driving lights and that he could make it look good by placing LEDs just under the headlamps. I'll double check.
He also said that he can make my front side amber lights into turn signals, so no need to add additional side lighting. Finally, he said that he can make one of my reversing lights into a fog light. He's trying to preserve the look of the vehicle. We'll see how it goes!

Back