Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bringing work home

It's amazing that the car is packed with this technology and yet having indicators is still an optional extra.

I've got those in the 80 but the 3 series only has a right indicator, it activates on motorways and dual carriageway, flashes high beam when use it too :lol::lol:

I must say that I hate the lights on new cars. Always blinds you when oncoming especially as they just come level with you as the side spead is bright.

Even in my 520 with the std lights, most approaching cars flash me thinking I have main beam on when I don't.

So for one pivot inside the lamp a whole new light unit at £1800 is needed plus strip the car. I had something similar with the Smart, a pivot had popped off. I took the front off the light unit, popped it back on and it’s been fine since. I don’t suppose the BMW one is that simple?

Well the tools I ordered turned up, locates to the strut tops then adjust it level up front. Projects a laser cross onto the wall for the vehicle centre, lights in service mode which then projects a certain pattern onto the wall. Then adjust the lights to certain measurements from the laser cross... Yep over complicated but I don't design them I just have to fix them lol.

View attachment 143960

Well it basically escalated from that point as it kept sticking and jumping trying to get the service mode to work and adjust

View attachment 143961

Stripped the light and found an issue with a pivot inside the lamp unit.
£1800 for a new lamp!!!!

Will have to re calibrate the cameras and the night vision etc when goes back together too!!

I'm glad don't see many cars with this system as it's time consuming to set up.
well, as the old chap said when he saw electric windows for the first time; "just something else to go wrong lad.."

So for one pivot inside the lamp a whole new light unit at £1800 is needed plus strip the car. I had something similar with the Smart, a pivot had popped off. I took the front off the light unit, popped it back on and it’s been fine since. I don’t suppose the BMW one is that simple?

It looks poorly moulded tbh, a popped off one would be much easier to deal with. Just doesn't fit well and when move the mech it then jumps in a certain place.

Bmw don't make the headlight unit so it'll get a new one and this one will go back to automotive lighting.

Oh this isn't stripped! Had a 5 series in much more bits then that last week lol, that had no headlamp washers but had a poor bodged up accident repair.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
TBH the Smart looks much the same to get to the headlights. The thing is it actually makes the job easier pulling the whole front off and can be quite quickly achieved when you’ve done it a few times.

Guess with what you say the light is a warranty issue, so no big deal for the customer?

TBH the Smart looks much the same to get to the headlights. The thing is it actually makes the job easier pulling the whole front off and can be quite quickly achieved when you’ve done it a few times.

Guess with what you say the light is a warranty issue, so no big deal for the customer?

I've got my own panel stand as have stuff apart that often, great for fitting windscreens too.

Yeah warranty repair, it's not a very old vehicle, manufacturing issue so they'll get the bill in the end. Customer gets fuel replaced we've had to use for testing too.
All done and back to the customer, he's had one of our X5's to run around in.

Well I've had a text message from the customer this morning and he's very happy :dance::icon-biggrin: said it works better then it's ever done. Result.
Good to get nice feedback like that. Well found that man! I suppose it would do really as it was a duff unit from the factory. :)

Good to get nice feedback like that. Well found that man! I suppose it would do really as it was a duff unit from the factory. :)

Yeah it's nice, it's not something you expect to find which is why it's been in a few times. I'm not chasing bonus so it takes what it takes.

Yeah it's nice, it's not something you expect to find which is why it's been in a few times. I'm not chasing bonus so it takes what it takes.

Not chasing a bonus so the job gets done properly, instead :lol:

Couldn’t resist Gary... :icon-biggrin:

Back