Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

camping tables

Yep they are fine if you are child sized and you do not plan to put anything heavier than your dinner plate on it they are fine...........oh and you do not mind eating of the floor cause that iswhere your food will end up after the stool has collapse for the third time and you have kicked the table over.

Having said that I am 6 foot 5 and a good 17 stone so my opinion may be biast :whistle: :whistle: :lol:

Steve

Funnily enough I have been looking at tables too - the Coleman ones seem as good as any. I agree with Steve that the stools that come with that set are rather fiddly. You're better off with proper chairs IMHO.

Depending on what your requirements are (will it be used on expedition where you're moving everyday and space is at a premium and ease of packing away is important vs going camping and wanting space to set everything up) I came up with the following options.

For minimal space requirement in the truck and convenience, the Coleman Mini Camping Table looks good. A similar alternative is this one from Quest. The Quest one is similar money, so I'd go for the Coleman but that's down to individual preference.
Folded up, these tables are around 40cm x 40cm x 5cm so very small and convenient when folded up - easy to pack! But they're not going to do much other than hold a cooker or allow 2 people to eat in comfort. This one gets my vote for the "lightly-loaded" boys weekend away or for basic table functionality on an expedition.

When setting up in the same place for a period of time, I reckon the Coleman "Table for 8" hits the mark. It has a relatively large "footprint" at 76cm x 76cm x 8cm but it'll fit under/on a roof-rack or can go at the bottom of the boot, so doesn't take up too much packing volume. It provides a lot of space for cooking, setting up cookers, stacking kitchen stuff etc. while camping - quite important when you have a family of small children :twisted: It's nice and sturdy and is simple to assemble/dismantle. But having to pack it in the truck every day if on an expedition would be tedious (unless you had a convenient slot under the RR or similar) so I wouldn't advise it unless you really want/need the table space.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

I would check those folding tables in person before you buy one. I bought something simlar not particularly cheap but not a Coleman (sorry can't remember the brand) and it was such light weight construction that it wobbled and didn't like things being put on it! Went over the tip and I went back to my roll top slatted table which is just a bit of a fiddle to use.

Think I've got the same slatted table !

£48 is more than double the cost of the slatted one - I got mine from makro for £20.

All of them need pegging down otherwise they are top heavy.

Those stools dont look comfy - three legged is better as more stable on rough ground.

I ended up using the table as a cooking worktop and sat with the plate on a padded tray.

breakfast002-1.jpg

breakfast003.jpg

Now I fancy a fry up!

Pete

thanks for the tips

the table would be used at different camps each day.
have some fold up comfy chairs already, so will be taking them.

will look out for some shops selling tables, maybe have to wait for a "decathlon" store in france
as millets & cotswolds in aberdeen didnt have any tables...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
this roll top or one very much like it is what I use, takes at least 2 minutes to set up and take down :roll: really don't know why I bought the other flimsy thing should have just stuck with this :think:

thanks Jon - always good to have a recommendation
and i need to order a drop-plate for when i am towing trailer - which that website will also have!

front wheels of twin axle trailer off the ground now when trailer unladen due to suspension lift...

Jon Wildsmith said:
I would check those folding tables in person before you buy one.
I have the Coleman Table for 8 and it's solid enough. :thumbup: I've seen and handled the Quest mini table and it's a reasonable piece of kit, stable and well put-together -I would think the Coleman is better though, hence I will go that route.

Obviously best is to inspect a whole range of different tables and decide what fits your requirements and space allocation in the truck :mrgreen:

I have one of these we used when the kids were small:

14263-1901111646541565659174.jpg

was a great idea ....

Now have one of those roll-up Gelert aluminium tables which is ok but a bit of a pain.

The best though is the table that lives under my roof-rack!!

P1000662.jpg

Good recomendations Jon, just bought the towsure table and it's great value for money :)

Simon_LJ70 said:
Good recomendations Jon, just bought the towsure table and it's great value for money :)
Used mine again last week and I agree it's a good table :)

wobbly said:
Think I've got the same slatted table !

£48 is more than double the cost of the slatted one - I got mine from makro for £20.

All of them need pegging down otherwise they are top heavy.

Those stools dont look comfy - three legged is better as more stable on rough ground.

I ended up using the table as a cooking worktop and sat with the plate on a padded tray.

breakfast002-1.jpg

breakfast003.jpg

Now I fancy a fry up!

Pete
I've been considering this one for myself :think: Halfords are currently doing it for a little under £20 :thumbup:

Are you happy with yours Pete :?:

Gary Stockton said:
I have one of these we used when the kids were small:

14263-1901111646541565659174.jpg

was a great idea ....

Some friends had one of those on a trip, but found it very unstable - every time someone got up or sat down the whole table rocked spilling any drinks on it.

One of the better setups I have seen is something similar, but four stools that fold up into the table that folds in half.

Hi, I have a roll top and am happy with it, problem was that after prolonged use it started to fall apart, the plastic thingeys on the ends that keep it together made a bid for freedom and after repairs with a few pop rivets gave a bit more service, however I've settled to using a "gopak" aluminium fold-up, really made for use in community halls and the like, but its very sturdy, light and quite a nice bit ,o kit, mines about a metre square but they have longer available if you need it. The devil being in the detail, where do we store it? well, it fits nicely standing on its side next to the engel, at about 12cm width ( might be a tad more now that I think about it) its not such a problem, and very comfortable to eat or whatever at. They are located in Kent. By the way I,ve been using "Gopak" for about 15 years at my work so I know they can last. Best Regards , Bill Westley

Jon Wildsmith said:
this roll top or one very much like it is what I use, takes at least 2 minutes to set up and take down :roll: really don't know why I bought the other flimsy thing should have just stuck with this :think:

My towsure table (and towbar hitch drop mount) arrived today
took a couple minutes to set up
very light and seems sturdy

it said on description it is for 6 people
i reckon 4 at the most would fit round it without food war!

and for 2 of us this summer it will be ideal

thanks for link and recommendation Jon!
Andrew

Back