Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

camping trailer design / build

Looking good Jon, but I see that its not quite wide enough for a pallet :think:

Wasn't designed to take a pallet, would have been coincidence if it had fitted. The engine hoist I just bought came on a pallet for some reason and that seemed the best place to chuck it for now :) Anything I might get by the pallet load usually comes on the back of a big lorry ;)

Fantastic job Jon - well done!

Now for the fuel tank strap - should be a breeze, eh?? :lol:

Looks good :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Might take it to B&Q tomorrow to get some ply for the floor and sides
Have yourself a proper measure up before you go & get 'em to cut it in store :) T'was what I did for Fierys storage box & it was all spot on :thumbup: I just went in with a long cutting list & the chap just got on with it :D

sae70 said:
Have yourself a proper measure up before you go & get 'em to cut it in store :)
That's the plan, have to hope you don't catch them when the only person who can operate the saw is on a tea break though :roll:

Looking good Jay Dubblyuh - the mudguards turned out really well :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It made a bit more space in the garage too :) I had some old mecano style shelving stacked in a corner and the shelfs were the right sort of thickness steel to keep to using what I have to hand as much as possible, so now they're mud guards :D

Maiden voyage this evening, to fetch some ply for the floor and sides. When I have more time I may replace them with aluminium but for now ply is quick, relatively cheap and will get the job done for now :) Towed really nicely except for getting a bit skittish when going round bends quite quickly. Reverses fine except for not quite being able to see it in the mirrors when straight so maybe time to hook up that reversing camera :lol: Being a bit narrower than the truck means driving through gaps in traffic it doesn't go outside the line the truck took so no need to give things a wider berth, just point it at a gap and drive as normal :mrgreen:

IMAG0328.jpg

How about some little mud flaps there Jon? Stops crap being plastered all over the frame and onto the screens of those behind you.

Looks very swish. Towsure do some nice sealed, plug in trailer lights that are right angle triangles that would look nice on the back.

http://www.towsure.com/product/5_Functi ... _Left_Hand Nice with the plug in loom. No more rubbish connections. They also do a nice range of LED marker lights. Do you have a bypass relay installed in your current system for your caravan? That's a top gadget for anyone who hasn't.

Chris

Those are nice lights Chris and I've looked at simlar ones but there's not really room for them on this trailer, not the way I want to fit them anyway. I should be getting a delivery of everything needed to do the lighting tomorrow but I may not have time to fit them before I use it to fetch heavy things this coming Saturday, which was what started all this off again, in which case the borrowed trailer board will have to do. I still need to make a tailgate, get the floor / sides painted and fitted plus assemble the engine hoist by the end of play on Friday. After saturday progress will slow right down again while I build some walls and things in the back garden :roll:

It could do with mud flaps but I haven't got round to thinking about those yet. Got any links to likely looking products?

How about 'Conveyor belt fancier monthly' :lol:

The lights are nice, but tricky bit is illuminating the number plate. As I have a lift off tailgate too, I have to have a disconnectable number plate light. My problem with the rear lights is that the connectors inside are rubbish and the light tend to work, not they don't, yes they are, one of them isn't, both of them... you get the idea. These boxes have really good lamp holders. I just don't want to give any PC a reason to stop me for anything. As you'll be crossing continents you'd be best to make sure that they work every time. Giving them a direct feed has really altered their function (the brakes don't dim when I indicate too etc) and the addition of LED bulbs make it look a whole lot sharper. I did have a small mast on mine made from tent pole material with a light on top. As I used to tow at night a lot it was comforting to know the trailer was still there!

Chris

I know what you mean about the lights, and the connectors on the car & trailer / caravan :( I fitted a bypass relay today after discovering the previous owner didn't bother.

If your pushed for time with regards the lights, why not buy a trailer board (there only cheap) & just cut the lights off leaving them all connected together & just do a quick temp job for this trip, couple of bullet connectors for the number plate light in case you need to get the tail board off & bobs your mothers uncle :)

Any pics of the boarding out yet :?: :)

Gav Peter said:
sae70 said:
Any pics of the boarding out yet
I think he's on a go-slow today Steve :p
Probably watching Jeremy Kyle :lol:

EDIT - These look good & 55% off so only £25 :shock: Magnetic trailer lights http://www.towsure.com/product/Magnetic ... ting_Board

prodDetail304.jpg

Looks like they'll do the number plate as well & be easy to remove for extreams & tail board removal :thumbup:

Supplied with 6 metres of cable. Unit consists of 2 x four function lamps stop / tail / indicator and number plate, on steel mounting plates, wired with extendible 1.8m connecting cable and fitted with powerful magnets for quick & easy attachment.

:lol: I'm using a trailer board borrowed off next door Steve, don't think he'd be too impressed if I started cutting it up :lol: i'll just continue using that if I don't get the fixed lights sorted in time.

I cut holes in the base board for tie downs and put a coat of yacht varnish on what will be the underside & outside before work but can't give them another coat now till 18:00. Once the underside / outside have had 2 or 3 coats of varnish to seal them I'll fix them in place and start the inside sealing. I have some dark blue paint to go on the outside of the sides :)

Sorry looks like you posted while I was in EDIT mode :) See above :thumbup:

I would still have to sort out fog light(s), warning triangles and front running lights. This is what I ordered and should turn up today, covers all the legal requirements for mine and has the right shape lights for what I have in mind. I already have a waterproof connector so the number plate can go on the tailgate and it still be removeable.

Back