Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can the HDJ100 do 130kmh all day long?

l3n0x

Country Flag
hungary
So I've been using my cruiser @100kmh, because it drives well & I get good mileage. But it's a PITA on long (5-600km) highway trips. I've tried 130kmh, but it felt unstable & the engine was a bit on the loud side. The car has around 500k kms in it. Is it safe/possible/etc. to drive these at 130kmh, or were they never intented for that?

So I've been using my cruiser @100kmh, because it drives well & I get good mileage. But it's a PITA on long (5-600km) highway trips. I've tried 130kmh, but it felt unstable & the engine was a bit on the loud side. The car has around 500k kms in it. Is it safe/possible/etc. to drive these at 130kmh, or were they never intented for that?
Mine will happily sit at 75/80 mph all day in comfort no stress on the engine. Mine is an early diesel auto.

Shouldn't be an issue regarding durability, fuel usage on the other hand.....

It can handle them easily. Depending on tires it might be uncomfortable. I find 120km/h to be the perfect balance between speed, consumption, tire noise and handling with mine. The 5 speed auto sits at ~2200 RPM at that speed.
I tried saving fuel with 100km/h at the beginning but as you said - it's PITA.
Fuel consumption increases rapidly with speed. I am burning about 10.5-11 at 100, 13@120, 13-14@130 and 140 is 15+, but my tires (Maxxis MT-764) feel scary at that speed

If towing, stay at 100 and monitor your transmission temps.

Of course it's possible and the 100 was intended to cruise all day or until you run out of fuel at 80mph/130kmh.

I, to my amazement, have had 32 mpg (Imperal gallon) on the French Motorways, cruising at 70mph. Deisel.

If yours feel unstable and loud engine, there may be someting wrong with your LC, I have often set Cruise Control for 75-80 mph and I feel 'safe' and I have every faith in my LC 100.

One reason for unstability at highish speed is, wrong tyres for Motorway Cruising.

If you cruised at 62mph/100kmh (whilst not towing) on UK Motorways you would soon get flashed and honked at, It's also illegal to drive to slow on some roads in the UK.

Reference https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/minimum-speed-limits-driving-too-slow.html

Happy Cruising/Stay Safe.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve run my HZJ80 at 120 kph all day with no issues, @ close on 3,000 rpm so I’m sure a 100 should be ok at those cruising speeds.
My engine’s noisy at all speeds, but the truck feels stable, and that’s with a 6” suspension lift. Poor wheel balancing or uneven tyre wear can cause instability at speed, maybe those are worth checking.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I’ve run my HZJ80 at 120 kph all day with no issues, @ close on 3,000 rpm so I’m sure a 100 should be ok at those cruising speeds.
My engine’s noisy at all speeds, but the truck feels stable, and that’s with a 6” suspension lift. Poor wheel balancing or uneven tyre wear can cause instability at speed, maybe those are worth checking.
My Wife thinks my lift is 6" luckily She's never laid down and mesured it, but She sometimes complains that it only just fits in her garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
A fault free 100 series certainly shouldn’t feel unstable. In fact, with the IFS setup it should be one of the most stable variants. Instability can be caused by many things in addition to those that Clive has mentioned above. With that sort of mileage, if it still has the original suspension bushes, some could be getting tired so that’s another area to check. The FTE engine in the 100 was the last and most powerful version of the 1H series so cruising at that speed should be easy. JMO

Back