Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can't find shocks for a 4 inch lift

Another spanner in the works

"Quick Question - Is your 80 Series Part time 4wd, or Full Time 4wd?
The Full Time 4wd 80 Series have driveline vibration issues at 4 Inches of lift, so a Part Time Kit will also need to be installed."

I think i'm correct in assuming a 97 UK spec Amazon 80 is permanent 4x4 and if so i absolutely do not want part time 4x4 ,

I'm thinking well others have a 4 inch lift so is it really necessary ?

Some people have no driveline issues at lifts of 4” and above but more than that do, hence why a 3” lift is generally considered to be the optimal lift for an 80. It is why Slinky kits only go to 3” and why respected LC experts such as Slee will include a DC prop shaft with their bigger lift kits - Oz sellers tend to recommend the part time solution.

Chris’s question is the big one really - why go that high? 3” is enough to run 35s or 37s with a few supporting mods. Anything more than 3” tends to lose not gain articulation. You will also have to start looking at adjustable Panhards.....

I'm kinda hoping that extra inch of lift will let 35's on a -60 offset 10 inch wide rim tuck under the arches without tearing them off ......... though i'm likely going to need wider arches anyway , i will cross that bridge when and if i get that far .

Basically i'm hoping to do stuff with the 80 that i wanted to do with my 90 had ifs suspension not made it folly to pursue .

Just an answer to the FT versus PT debate...don't do it! I have read, re-read and read again the arguments for and against the options.

Reasons cited, are many including reduced wear on the CV joints, reduced fuel consumption, better handling "because you can drift the rear out" WTF?

All of the above may or may not be true but I have driven mine with and without the front propshaft fitted, around town you would not notice the difference, on the motorway again no change however, find a nice road with sweeping bends and trust me you soon recognise the benefits of permanent AWD, plenty will argue, fine feel free, but you cannot overturn the laws of gravity.

The 80 when pushed into a bend the front wants to plough forward (understeer), straight away somone will say that is safer in the event you crash, that's great but my preference is not to crash in the first place!

I am unsure with the heavy diesel anchor up front (and on the right surface), you would get the 80 to get the rear to lose grip and oversteer, never tried too hard.

I do know that after driving a few days in RWD waiting for new prop bolts, I forgot the front prop was not fitted until on the 90 kph coast bypass road, even at legal speeds the car felt different. Not dangerous at typical speeds, but without doubt I had to allow for the lack of the front wheels pulling the front of the car in the direction I pointed them.

You can purchase PT 80's but they will drive different, but IMO and IME AWD rules.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Just an answer to the FT versus PT debate...don't do it! I have read, re-read and read again the arguments for and against the options.

Reasons cited, are many including reduced wear on the CV joints, reduced fuel consumption, better handling "because you can drift the rear out" WTF?

All of the above may or may not be true but I have driven mine with and without the front propshaft fitted, around town you would not notice the difference, on the motorway again no change however, find a nice road with sweeping bends and trust me you soon recognise the benefits of permanent AWD, plenty will argue, fine feel free, but you cannot overturn the laws of gravity.

The 80 when pushed into a bend the front wants to plough forward (understeer), straight away somone will say that is safer in the event you crash, that's great but my preference is not to crash in the first place!

I am unsure with the heavy diesel anchor up front (and on the right surface), you would get the 80 to get the rear to lose grip and oversteer, never tried too hard.

I do know that after driving a few days in RWD waiting for new prop bolts, I forgot the front prop was not fitted until on the 90 kph coast bypass road, even at legal speeds the car felt different. Not dangerous at typical speeds, but without doubt I had to allow for the lack of the front wheels pulling the front of the car in the direction I pointed them.

You can purchase PT 80's but they will drive different, but IMO and IME AWD rules.

Regards

Dave

:text-+1:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
+2 Dave ice and snow this year let me familiarize myself with the 80's handling characteristics and its tail happy for sure 4wd lets you recover when she lets go and i can think of only downsides to making it 2wd front or rear .

Regards

Dave
ive said it before somewhere. the 80 in snow conditions does have a lovely predictable oversteer. plenty of sideways action. if I ever figure out how to upload dash cam footage I could bore you all to within an inch of your lives..

Yes I think oversteer could be easily provoked with the weight of the engine providing some traction to the front tyres, as we know the wheels with the least traction will spin and thus reduce traction even further, this can all happen at a nice steady speed on ice, good fun even.

What I am thinking about is, at what speed would a RWD 80 have to be doing before the transition from understeer to oversteer, or even if it would occur anyway?

I think given the size and weight of the 80, the AWD system affords a very stable platform to keep even the most spirited driver happy.

Regards

Dave

I don't think the 80 has enough power to cause understeer even if it was rwd , that's just the weight of the engine causing a pendulum effect - of course with power to the front wheels you can pull it back with opposite force .

Oversteer on the other hand always brings to my mind the Ford Capri many of which went to the knackers yard due to the light ass end trying to overtake the front wheels , they were long wheel base , narrow track and front heavy - does that ring any bells .

I promise you Shayne, the 80 in RWD can and does understeer if pushed hard into a bend, and when in AWD the cornering is way more neutral.

Ah the Capri, I had the 3 litre facelift, black with JPS lettering and pinstripe in gold, beautiful car, rear end happy is an understatement! :laughing-rolling:

I remember changing the rear multileaf springs to a single one piece, supposed to prevent binding and improve roadholding...............nah.:icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

I am also one of those unfortunate's who have had the luck to drive my 80 in RWD format, and I can attest to the fact that it is much improved in AWD format.

Was it the dice on the windscreen that made it a tail happy love machine Dave :lol:

green-windscreen-sun-names-sunstrip-capri.jpg

Those were the days mate!

No dice, or 'DAVE' across the top of the windscreen, but I did have a Sharp stack audio set up, flicking awesome in its day, I did get caught speeding twice in the same day, once in the firms van and an hour later in the Capri 3.0 GXL, no problem just turned up the music.

One of my better cars if I am honest.

Regards

Dave

ive said it before somewhere. the 80 in snow conditions does have a lovely predictable oversteer. plenty of sideways action. if I ever figure out how to upload dash cam footage I could bore you all to within an inch of your lives..
Didn't i see you post a video the other day?...

Didn't i see you post a video the other day?...
Yeah, it's taken me 7 months to fathom it..
I gaffer taped my phone to the dash.
That reminds me, I'll have to fit my dash cam mount.
What location did you find was best?

Yeah, it's taken me 7 months to fathom it..
I gaffer taped my phone to the dash.
That reminds me, I'll have to fit my dash cam mount.
What location did you find was best?
I just stuck my go pro behind the mirror so it wasn't in the way and i could run a lead to it. Dont know if thats "best"

That would of been my preferred spot. Out of the way as you say.
When I fitted my sub tank gauge I ran a live up there incase I ever wanted to fit a USB socket to the overhead console....
Did you fit it to the mirror or windscreen?

That would of been my preferred spot. Out of the way as you say.
When I fitted my sub tank gauge I ran a live up there incase I ever wanted to fit a USB socket to the overhead console....
Did you fit it to the mirror or windscreen?
windscreen

Back