Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cant open doors!

Spike

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Evening all, friend just phoned me saying he has changed fob battery and now cant open the doors either with the fob or manually with the key, nothing turning in the lock, almost like its the wrong key, he only has one key, any of you knowledgeable folks come across this before? cheers

Hi Karl, its the battery in the fob he has changed so the original key and fob, but now after changing the battery the fob or the key wont open the doors, totally locked out.

Yes but is the battery in the key fob a (proven) good one?

Why was the battery changed?

Ah I see, yes the battery is new and is lighting up the little LED on the fob so the battery is good, replaced I believe as the old one had run out.

So with the old battery, the fob wasn't working and that's why the battery was replaced? Is it possible that the fob was knackered rather than the battery?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes that could be a possibility, would that stop the key from manually unlocking the door?

No I wouldn't have thought so, but whats the history - has the key ever been tried / worked before?

Also check the voltage on the new battery to make sure its good, otherwise it might just be good enough to light the light and nothing else!

Obviously theres no spare available?

Hi Karl, he has had the motor for about two years and no problems, could be an AA job!

I'm wondering if the chip in the key has lost its pairing through changing battery somehow ?
Although I've changed the battery in mine with no probs.

Karl, you posted somewhere I think, the pairing sequence like open doors switch on, slam doors, swear at the neighbours, etc.
Not exactly that, but you know what I mean.
The key still needs the chip working when operated manually to turn off alarm when entering, then immobiliser when ignition turned ??

I'm not sure if opening the door with the blade turns the alarm off or if the alarm only stops once the key is in the ignition? Should I annoy the neighbours... Haha

Could be right maybe it's lost its pairing, maybe worth trying that once he can get in?

Could be Karl.
I was under the impression that turning the key shut the alarm off, otherwise the alarm would blare when door opened until key is in ignition ?
Just a guess mate.

Although the key may look ok, maybe the lock itself is buggered, any signs of screwdriver merchants been at it ?
Squirt some lock graphite in there - oil attracts s**t and gums the works up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, not too sure if he's tried the key before, I doubt as no need to, so could be gummed up, I will keep you updated.

Could be someone before has squirted oil in the lock, always a bad idea.
I locked the 120 with the fob as normal, (alarm/immobiliser on) made a cuppa, then unlocked with key, opened door and waited -no alarm blaring. So unlocking with key does shut that off, no help with you getting in though.
If you call the AA, they will probably only get you in with a slim jim, unless double locked with the deadlocks on.
Good luck with this.

That could be a question for me Karl ? I'll bite anyway.
In which case no, it f*****g doesn't as you know, I havent got the valet key, haha.

Last edited:
Update! he got in after prizing the top of the drivers open and looping a wire over the door handle, it seems that his good lady had left the headlights on, batteries totally flat, and as Tractionman suggested probably the door lock gummed up so couldn't open with the blade.

Back