Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CB Antenna

Well, after putting thinking head on.......

As long as i trim less off each time than the length of the adjuster then i could always adjust my way out of trimming too much.

Anyway, all done now and performing well :thumbup:

Whilst on holiday I snapped my twig at the base, I'd call it the elbow joint, it's the piece where you can insert the key to alter the angle ! My aerial is the HP 3000, does anyone know where I may be able to get a replacement pice from ?

Ta all,

AFAIK you can't buy a replacement part but someone on here said they could fix them :think:

BIG clean GREEN said:
Whilst on holiday I snapped my twig at the base, I'd call it the elbow joint, it's the piece where you can insert the key to alter the angle ! My aerial is the HP 3000, does anyone know where I may be able to get a replacement pice from ?Ta all,
For when you get your aerial fixed, what I've done to try and reinforce that bit is to slip a metal tube over the base section, NOT the whip, it doesn't seem to have affected the performance. :thumbup:

Who is this mysterious person ? step forward and make yourself known ! :think: I hope it's Chris ???????

BIG clean GREEN said:
Who is this mysterious person ? step forward and make yourself known ! :think: I hope it's Chris ???????
Jon Wildsmith said:
Bat21 said:
[quote="Jon Wildsmith":138e8ps2]The casting that comes out the top of the coil, been discussed a few times ;)
[quote="Jon Wildsmith":138e8ps2]... the casting can snap at the base of the whip if caught low enough on a branch but the casting is threaded and screws into the base and could be replaced with a steel version if you have access to a lathe. That's what I've done on the 4000 that goes on my front bumper as it's more exposed. The 3000 on the rear wheel carrier has the original casting still.
Which bit snaps Jon, is it the bit that looks like the end of a kids crayon or the round bit below it?

9793sHEqfyHU.jpeg
[/quote:138e8ps2]

The round bit below, the part that is closest to the coil. It is threaded on the bottom where it goes into the base so either when it breaks or as a preventative measure you can remove it and the part it connects to that the whip fits into and replace them both with a bit of solid bar that has a hole in the top to accept the whip and is threaded on the bottom to go into the base. Make sense? The whip is quite thick towards the base so if you snag it on a thick branch quite low down it can snap that casting which seems quite flimsy. In another thread somewhere on here I offered to make the bit of bar for anyone who sends me their base and then covers return postage or collects it. Obviously you lose the ability to adjust the whip angle if you do that.[/quote:138e8ps2]
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah, nice one Jon :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you want to PM me your address I'll post the base out to you ?

Much appreciated !

I was pretty sure it wasn't me. Lathe, did someone say lathe? Mmmn. Next year maybe.

Chris

Those are on their way back to you Nick and Chas, 1st class recorded this afternoon so you might even get them tomorrow :)

Great! :dance: thanks for that Jon :thumbup:

You have the mk ii conversion :) the mk i was steel but it's gone quite rusty and might even be too strong. The mk ii's are a fairly soft grade alluminium alloy and if you hit them hard enough the small size thread into the base should fail before anything more critical gives up and you'd just need another repair doing. Replaced both mine while I was at it :D

I may look into an alternative mounting position, but not sure on which LC yet :pray:

Thanks again Jon, I'm sure it'll be the dogs !

Jon Wildsmith said:
You have the mk ii conversion :) the mk i was steel but it's gone quite rusty and might even be too strong. The mk ii's are a fairly soft grade alluminium alloy and if you hit them hard enough the small size thread into the base should fail before anything more critical gives up and you'd just need another repair doing. Replaced both mine while I was at it :D
Many thanks Jon, :thumbup: the modified CB antenna arrived this morning. It is a thing of beauty, to say I'm mightily impressed with your workmanship would be putting it mildly.

You're welcome guys, gives me some practice on my lathe :)

Mine did arrive Jon, our postman likes to hide things if they wont go through the letter box ! It looks mint and very much fit for purpose :thumbup:

Thanks again Jon.

Back