Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CDL Switch (alternative?)

Captainoversteer

Supporter
Some weeks ago I pulled the plug to stop the cdl locking in low range in order to save tyres/clutch/already knackered cv's whilst shunting trailer around the yard etc. To my own disappointment/embarrassment this has caught me out twice in that I've been unable to pull a loaded trailer across a grassy field!
Obvious answer to this is to buy a CDL switch I here you calling?! This has been on the to do list,but as alwaysa few places down until you need it. There's also a few earlier type ones around but it seems theyre harder to come by for the '95 on trucks?
After a tip off I've realised that the hazard switch has much the same plug and with a little trimming,plugs in and works.
My question is,can any of you think of any problems with this? Am I risking imminent wiring loom meltdown? Its only me driving the 80 and I know what switch does what and am not fussy as to what it says on it!
TIA
Dan

Hrmm .. I tried this with a traction control switch out of some random toyota. Switch fitted with that little bit of trimming but wouldn't work.

I don't know for sure but if it's working fine I think there is no chance of it doing any damage.

Nice one Grant,Thanks! It does seem to work alright and I've done a search that brought up nothing in particular. It seems a quick,easy,cheap fix and I was just worried that someone has tried it before and found that an extra pin in the hazard switch then sends power to something else or whatver and it all ended in tears!

I had one of the hazard switch CDL for months with no problems, I then found a Rav4 in a scrapers with a CDL switch that fitted perfectly. {This is for the newer dash}

I had one of the hazard switch CDL for months with no problems, I then found a Rav4 in a scrapers with a CDL switch that fitted perfectly. {This is for the newer dash}
That's just what I wanted to hear,Thankyou!
Mine has been fine,just seemed a little too easy!
Will keep an eye out for a rav4.

Got myself a Rav4 switch off of Ebay for £3.50 so my dash looks complete!
Thanks for the tip!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry if this is a silly question, but does anyone know if it's easy to fit a switch to choose CDL on/off in low, instead of it being automatically switched on my '95 80?

It's fitted with a dash CDL switch for high, and has the factory front and rear diff locks.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does anyone know if it's easy to fit a switch to choose CDL on/off in low, instead of it being automatically switched on my '95 80?

It's fitted with a dash CDL switch for high, and has the factory front and rear diff locks.

Clive,you just need to pull one plug off on the gearbox and CDL will be switchable in high and low.
Looking at the back of the box,its on the right hand side just above and forward of the output flange

Easiest way is to put your truck in low so the cdl is locked then pull a plug off and you should be able to hear the actuator working to unlock the CDL. Seal up the plug/sensor,try your interior switch(if it works in high it ought to work in low too) and jobs done

Last edited:
Any particular year/model rav4 for the switch?

Trip to the breakers at the weekend I'm thinking.

Clive,you just need to pull one plug off on the gearbox and CDL will be switchable in high and low.
Looking at the back of the box,its on the right hand side just above and forward of the output flange

Easiest way is to put your truck in low so the cdl is locked then pull a plug off and you should be able to hear the actuator working to unlock the CDL. Seal up the plug/sensor,try your interior switch(if it works in high it ought to work in low too) and jobs done

That's great Captain, so easy! I'm UK bound tomorrow for a week, but I'll be climbing under the gearbox when I come back.

Thanks a lot for the info.:icon-biggrin:

Back