Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Central locking gone daft!!

CARROT CRUNCHER

Country Flag
uk
Hi All

My central locking is doing strange things (intermitently), alarm fob will happily disable the alarm but will not unlock the truck, it will lock no problem. Also the manual rocker switch on drivers door will sometimes refuse to hold on lock, you press it to lock all doors and it immediately revertsa back to unlocked.

I was wondering if the central locking has its own ECU that is playing up. As both of my front door lock barrels are knackered I have to climb in through the tailgate to reach through to manually release the damned doors. All this exercise is a shock to the system so any ideas would be most welcome:think:

My first thought is to look for broken wires in the door wiring looms, particularly drivers door followed by the next well used door.

From what you describe, on locking, it sounds like the truck is thinking the door is open as to lock then immediately open again is what some cars do when doors are open and the central locking is activated.

. The tailgate actuator is notorious for causing this problem, dust and crap gets in there and it messes it up, start there.

regards

Dave

Thanks very much for those pointers, sounds like I am in with a chance of sorting it. I hope so 'cos an ape in his late 50's must look stupid climbing through the tailgate in a supermarket car park. I appreciate your input, I wish I had the tech know how but at least I appreciate a great truck. £100k range rovers eat your heart out, you can't touch a good old 80, it gets you there and gets you back every single time without fail even if you do have to enter it in some rather odd ways sometimes.

£100k range rovers eat your heart out, you can't touch a good old 80,

Spent two days removing a rusty crossover pipe on a 2008 Discovery D3, swore at the designer every other minute!! Book states REMOVE BODY WTF!!!

600 euros for a piece of tin pipe, great car ........when it is going!

regards

Dave

Yes Dave, only a week a go my mate who's a mechanic had one on his ramp doing the same job, took him a couple of hours but he got the old one out & hour and a half to replace.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was in there for hours trying to find the noise and then more hours with a 'Dremel, all the nuts were rusted and rounded off by previous attempts, p*ssed me right off, I felt like a gynaecologist wallpapering the hallway through the letter box,! Better get back on topic. :>)

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back