Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Changing fan belts 1HDT

Chuck Steak

Country Flag
australia
How do you get the alternator fan belts on? They're just not long enough. Even at minimum travel you can't get the belts on the pulleys without some trick that I've yet to work out. It's an utter bastard of a job. If they were just an inch longer it'd be manageable.

Where did you buy the belts?
It is normally a very straight forward job, you could try removing the adjuster mount on the alternator for a little more travel.
I normally put one belt on at a time and work them over the pulleys.

The belts were already on the car but were pretty new. They were a real bastard to get on last time. At minimum adjustment I had to use a massive lever to flex the bracket enough to squeeze them on. I've changed the alternator and this is a little bigger so a further stretch is required. It's a stupid shitty design and there is no doubt some trick to get them on but I just don't know what it is.
Where did you buy the belts?
It is normally a very straight forward job, you could try removing the adjuster mount on the alternator for a little more travel.
I normally put one belt on at a time and work them over the pulleys.

Actually I might pull the adjuster mount off. That's a good idea. It was a bit of a bastard to get on, but I've got nothing to lose at this stage

Actually I might pull the adjuster mount off. That's a good idea. It was a bit of a bastard to get on, but I've got nothing to lose at this stage
Guess what? It worked. Thanks for the tip. Now I just need to get the adjuster back on...

Back