Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine starting problem.

Effalump

Country Flag
uk
Hi, any advice would be appreciated on why my 2013 LC J150 has developed an intermittent starting problem? It has the Optitron keyless system, but when I get in and press the start button the steering wheel comes out, the dash lights all light up as normal, but the engine just makes one clicking sound but doesn't fire, doesn't turn over. However I have managed to start it by just keeping my finger on the start button.

The twin batteries are less than 12 months old and are Bosch, so fairly confident it's not the batteries. I've taken a voltage reading from the live terminal to the earth terminal that is attached to the wing and I got 11.8 volts which seems a little low, but I haven't read the voltage just across the battery terminals yet.

I'm suspecting a problem with the alternator or some sort of voltage regulation, but not really sure, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before it refuses to start at all.
Thank you.

Start with the basics ... you've check the battery ...

Ever changed the glow plugs?

Is it that cold? Do these engines really need the glow plugs in this weather?

I nornally let the glow plugs heat up, but once or twice ive just turned the key right through and its always started

Hi, I've had an engine code come up since this problem started, P0335, my simple code reader says it's the crankshaft sensor. I've ordered one to my local Toyota dealer and it's going in tomorrow for a proper diagnosis and hopefully they won't find anything else and fit the new sensor for me.
I would normally prefer to fit it myself but I can't afford my car to be off the road if I encounter any other problems.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Let us know the outcome thanks. Compared to the previous 1kz engines, these have a lot more electronics.

Let us know the outcome thanks. Compared to the previous 1kz engines, these have a lot more electronics.
It’s a 1KD diesel engine, the D4-D, it’s in Toyota this afternoon so I’ll let you know how it pans out

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Will lookout.

I recently purchased a 2012 with this same engine. Our major issue where I live is the poor quality (high sulphur content in the) fuel.

Where do you live? Not sure if it’s a problem in the UK.

Did this get sorted?
Yes, hopefully. Took it to Toyota yesterday and they read the code and told me what I had already told them when I arrived, it's showing code P0335, which is the crankshaft sensor.
I'd ordered one in to their parts department last week at £155 and I'd already told them that if they get the same code as I did to fit the new one I'd ordered. That didn't stop the lad on reception from presenting me with it and the receipt while I was sat waiting.
Me, incredulous; "what are you giving me that for? It's no good on the table, fit it in the car like I asked you to do when I booked it in, and like I did again when I arrived".
I'm sure they do it on purpose to wind up their customers. The good news is that he didn't charge me anything for some reason, I can only think that because the car is still in warranty time wise but I've gone over the 10,000mile per year limit, and I paid for the part they didn't charge as a good will gesture. I didn't discuss it with him as I was on the phone at the time discussing the details of how my neighbours grandad managed to miss their drive by about 20 feet and put a nice big dent in my offside wing and damage my alloy. The customer service advisor just pressed the key in my hand said thank you, all sorted and gave me a thumbs up, so I won't be too hard on them with criticism.
Anyway, it seems to be starting up on the button now and running smooth. Thanks for your interest and advice, much appreciated.

Attachments

• tempImageK7qtZZ.png
    tempImageK7qtZZ.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • tempImagexFmGPH.png
    tempImagexFmGPH.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
Bloody hell if its not one thing its another eh!!!

Glad its starting again now - at least you can drive it to the bodyshop!

Thanks for sharing ... by chance can you share the oem part number for the crank shaft sensor?

Bloody hell if its not one thing its another eh!!!

Glad its starting again now - at least you can drive it to the bodyshop!
Fortunately they are going to drop off a courtesy car for me and collect and deliver my Cruiser to the body shop, a week Monday, so hopefully that will all go smoothly...but I wouldn't bet on it.

Back