Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

changing to heavy duty springs

roy

Country Flag
scotland
hi all,
having built a winch bumper and fitted a winch plus underbody protection i feel i need to replace the standard OME springs for some heavy duty springs.

the obvious choice is to get the ome heavy duty springs,
i have read that they are not stiffer just longer, can anyone with these springs tell me what they are like ?

also any other recomended uprated springs that will work with ome dampers ?

cheers roy

Hi Roy

what springs have you got currently at the front?

I have 881 which are +0-50kg and have a TBR hidden winch mount and winch (approx 50-60kg)

originally i fitted:
Front Shocks: 2 x N91SB (3-1891) heavy duty
Front Springs: 2 x OME882 (3-0822) 51-110kgs 40mm Lift

I kept shocks but the OME882 springs gave too much lift and i had driveline vibration from CVs i think. i borrowed a diffdrop kit of Chris, but that didnt solve the issues, replacing the 882 springs with 881 solved it.

i have since fitted trim packers since i ended up with 30mm lift not 40mm lift, 5mm on nearside and 10mm on drivers side to give a bit more lift and level the front.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7849&hilit=vibration&start=20

on pradopoint they only recommend the OME882 springs if you have a full winch bumper and winch, as its needs this weight to make most of the springs..
for me with 60kg on winch/mount i really needed a spring inbetween the 881 and 882 :), but 881 with trim packers worked in end and gave me correct 40mm lift

how heavy is you bumper and winch?

you can have my 882 springs for £70 plus postage! they were only on the vehicle 6-8weeks since i still have them.
some paint scraped off. but you need a workshop strut compressor tower (hand wound car spring compressors would be dangerous) to fit them.

I have just ordered some stiffer springs myself for rear, 891 were sagging with loaded vehicle, so i am going for +300kg 892 coils. i ordered from Billy at 4x4 Accessories Scotland - he is based in Edinburgh

Andy

hi andy , i will take you up on those springs ,

i will pm you

cheers roy

i have the 881 springs , but want to try the 882 versions as i have a full steel bumper aswell as a heavy winch mount.

PM sent.

if you have 881 springs already and they are sagging (mine sagged 10mm with 60kg load on front) and a heavy steel bumper etc I am sure the 882 springs will be more suitable

Back