Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cigarette lighter

LC80GD

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi guys,

Sorry been offline for ages, work taken over but finally getting back to spending some time on the old girl.

Horse life is going well for the wife which means longer tows around the country - often resulting in us being out all day. One really minor but annoying thing is the cigarette lighter doesn't work in our 97 4.5 80 series. Any ideas where to start looking to resolve? All other electrics are working fine, would be great to be able to charge a phone etc.

Thanks,

G

Hi G,

Check fuses (sorry, got to start with the silly things) then try a multimeter in the socket itself. Sometimes plugs don’t make good contact. If still officially dead I would look behind to see if it’s become disconnected when someone was behind the dash last. If still connected, stick a meter in the connector to see if there’s power there. Beyond this it’s out with the diagrams.

Fuse No.1 (top fuse LH row) in the fuse panel under the dash. Feeds fag lighter, power RV mirrors, radio cassette player, digital clock and SRS Airbag system. This is on a ‘97 build diesel, can’t see the petrol being any different.

If still officially dead I would look behind to see if it’s become disconnected when someone was behind the dash last.

+1 on that. I had the middle dash panel off for a bulb change and the fag lighter didn’t work on reassembly for that very reason!

Isn't there a 'fuse' built into the socket itself on the back of it?

Isn't there a 'fuse' built into the socket itself on the back of it?
Nothing that I’ve come across Gary but I’ll have a closer look next time I’m in there. Plugs often have fuses of different sorts built in but I’ve never seen one on a socket. It would be a pig to change.

Mine didn't work many years ago due to the back needing soldering due to corrosion I guess. Simply fix no issues since.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nothing that I’ve come across Gary but I’ll have a closer look next time I’m in there. Plugs often have fuses of different sorts built in but I’ve never seen one on a socket. It would be a pig to change.

Mine stopped working a while ago, there was a contact on the back of the socket that had failed, was like a built in fuse. Worth a look.

There is indeed a fusible link at the back of the socket. This prevents the socket getting to hot and usually blows before the fuse does. You can remove the nylon spacer at the back of the socket to bypass the fusible link. For normal use the socket is still fused trough the fusebox, but i wouldn't use it with the Cigarette Lighter because of the heat.

Back