Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cleaning EGR - advice please

knicko

Country Flag
uk
Had a £20 Amazon giftcard burning a hole in my pocket, so just ordered a tin of this...

[h=1]Wynns WY23381 Diesel EGR Cleaner, 150 ml[/h]
and also this...

[h=1]Wynn's Diesel Clean 3 Extreme Cleaner 500ML[/h]
Having never used the EGR cleaner before (my truck has done 137000 miles) and seen recommendations on this site for doing so, I will give it a crack.

Do I just spray the EGR cleaner into the air intake (down the large hose after the filter housing?) with the engine running? Should I use the whole 150ml can in one go?

Cheers

NOOOOO!!!

Shayne may well have some of the best knowledge on this subject but another member (whose name escapes me, sorry) had broken piston lands on an 80 after using it. At the very least, follow the instructions from Wynns either on the can or from the website or both, to the letter with added caution.

Go careful is probably good advice but I've not done it myself so take others info first OK.

Last edited:
:lol: that's a hard act to follow Starcruiser :lol:

To explain Nicko someone's 80 series Landcruiser engine was killed using wynns egr cleaner . Now i have used the stuff many a time and will continue to use it but i can easily accept improper use could very easily destroy an engine .

So make up your own mind .

Is the 3 extreme just stuff to add to your fuel ? if so that will be fine .

Ah. Glad I asked then! Don't think I shall bother with the EGR cleaner...anyone want to buy an 'as new' can, still in original packaging LOL !!

Yes Shayne, the other product is just the fuel additive.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Nick

That's the one!!! [emoji4][emoji106]

If you remove the gummed up bits and use the EGR cleaner to soften and remove the goop that will be totally safe as it doesn't involve the engine. If it were mine I think I would be deleting the EGR system and removing and manually cleaning the intake parts as much as I could.

I don't have an EGR on my 81…God be praised!!

Whoever thought it was a good idea to make an engine rebreathe its own waste must have been barking!!

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Whoever thought it was a good idea to make an engine rebreathe its own waste must have been barking!!

That'll be our Masters in Brussels - demanding cleaner emissions :eusa-whistle:.

Come the Revolution . . Oooops, I mean Referendum . . .

Bob.

Back