Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clunk when turning from stationary and clunk when going into 2nd gear

Just to answer my own ramblings. Have I got it the wrong way round? Is it useful to be able to unlock the c/d at speed?
- Lock c/d to get moving from stationary in snow and ice
- Achieve reasonable speed
- Unlock c/d without needing to slow down and lose momentum.

Not enough snow and ice driving in the UK for me to have ever needed to pull such a trick I guess.

I've certainly locked the Centre Diff when in High on snow and ice (not at 50 though) and found it made the car handle worse. Occasionally I have lost traction on hills on ice and locking the centre helps - but I wouldn't keep it locked for longer than necessary.

Bob.

I found the exact opposite. I had a LWB Collie and deliberately tried both functions in snow. With the CDL unlocked, I could get the rear to swap ends without much difficulty. With the CDL locked, it was like being back on tarmac again. So much so, that I was driving around and stopped to help a couple in a Mondeo. I got out and fell straight on my ass. I had to hold onto the hedge to walk along the road. I got back in and drove straight off up the hill and pulled them out. I also found it the same on the A75 one winter. I deliberately drove into standing water on only the near side, then locked the diff and did it again. Stability with the CDL engaged was noticably better.

I'd agree with Chris, locked CDL in high range is mighty in the right conditions, especially ice. But speed is your enemy there so it will push you into the outside of a bend somewhat if you are going hard. I've had similar experiences to Chris in snow. Hill in on the main street of our local town is seriously steep, and I did 2 hours towing for the cops during a previous heavy snow.. never had to use low range bar for a lwb Merc sprinter that was loaded to the oxters.. CDL in the whole time

I have occasionally tried it with the c/d locked in snow and like Bob M I thought it made the car more unstable, and I thought it was essentially forcing the wheels to slip a little when turning though I can see it being useful in a straight line. But I can't say I've ever had the opportunity to test it that much.

I guess I should have qualified what I said: Not enough snow and ice driving in my part of the UK ... (the lowlands of North Yorkshire and the East Riding for the last twenty years)

No snow by the sea here either but i'd say from experience in mud while HL might be good for snow i a lwb 95 a swb 90 will likely suffer because it will not want to turn at all .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back