Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

clutch time!

My clutch release bearing used to jingle. I had a new clutch in and it still jingled. I got a replacement OEM unit and when I dragged the damn box out again to replace the one that came with the clutch it turned out be be exactly the same. And I do mean exactly. I swapped it anyway and it still jingled. In the end I changed the slave cylinder and took the opportunity to do a little adjusting. With the merest of additional pressure on the clutch fork, the jingling stopped. I was so happy I nearly cried.

I've had that same jingling since Toyota replaced me clutch a few years back. I just don't hear it anymore!

When you're under there with the engine running, just push the fork forward by hand and see if it stops. I genuinely think that over time, the end of the clutch rod, or the pivot on the fork, wear. This gives a tiny bit of clearance and creates the jingle. I'm not talking about riding the clutch, just taking up that wee bit of freeplay

Both my 80's had that now my 60 has - just turn the radio up to get rid of it!

You have a radio? Hmm, I might have to get one if it comes back again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I say, that is just the ultimate in luxurious self-indulgence.

Says I who spent far too much time in the Southern African sun in a Series landy and who now roughs it in a aircon less 80 series lol.

Bit late on this one, but the rear crank seal was weeping, not exactly leaking, but staining and gathering dust.
While the box was off, I thought it best to change it... OEM.

I know this is an old conversation, but my 1991 LJ78 2LTE RHD 5spd needs a clutch. Having trouble finding a Exedy or other part number. I'd like to put in the best heavy duty kit thats out there. Any help here is greatly appreciated!

1991 LJ78 2LTE RHD

Not many of them in the USA i'd guess so you might have better luck searching for a "2LTE clutch"

2LTE Applications:

Most of us drive circa 20 year old Landcruisers and most have never had a new clutch so Aisin which is part owned by and produces parts for Toyota is the most popular choice when the time comes to replace the clutch .

Not many of them in the USA i'd guess so you might have better luck searching for a "2LTE clutch"

2LTE Applications:

Most of us drive circa 20 year old Landcruisers and most have never had a new clutch so Aisin which is part owned by and produces parts for Toyota is the most popular choice when the time comes to replace the clutch .
Thanks Shayne!

There should be some play in the slave pushrod when pushed back otherwise if it's tight it might cause clutch slip. Also as the clutch wears it takes up some clearance (think that's the right way round). I would have thought the spring inside the slave would keep the rod touching the fork.

Back