Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Compressors with tanks?

Rich Sims

Garage
Hi All, Im about to buy a compressor and tank combo and there are two runners up.Both the same price.

One the Viair 480c with 2 gallon tank, good size tank and high pressure 200psi not the best compressor output 50L/min but looks a good bit of kit, would need a regulated to use it with lockers!

http://www.viair.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=3_24&product_id=79

The second is the Silverstone with a 5 litre tank 100L/min compressor only 120psi tank but does have a built in adjustable regulator. I use to have one of these in the back of my disco TD5 to run lockers suspension and inflating tyres and never let me down they use to be called Koala.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261242687029?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

you guys have any thoughts on which one to get or another option?

The VIAIR comes with 3/8 fitting which means that you can use bigger hose and therefore flow is better. No point having all of that and then reducing to 6mm fittings. I can't tell what the other one comes with but it looks like 6mm. I looked at that high flow set up some years ago. In the end I went with a smaller unit but did open up the fittings to 10mm through out. I did some tank fill times and it certainly made a difference.

I will be interested where you go with this rich i have been looking at the twin 480viair or the twin arb as i have a tank and all the gubbins to go with a compressor set up.
If i had arb lockers i would run a regulated supply from the tank to them not have the tank at 100psi or what ever it is. Don't tge newer arbs run at a higher pressure then a few years ago.
Stu

What viairs were you running chris as i saw them running air tools very well.

Beauty of the twin ARB set up is size and the fact that it's all there in a box. Certainly works well. I intend to fit a small / med tank with mine in due course. I miss that.

the silverstone does have a standard 1/2" plc fitting at the other end at the top which you can just see in the picture and also a bung in the end of the tank to put a larger outlet. I just feel that although the first initial burst of air from the viair would be overtaken by the larger out put compressor in the silverstone.

Stu the largest output from a viair which is the 480c is only about 50L/min so the refile time is double that of the silverstone! I think the best compressor which I think Chris has it the double arb with auto pressure shut off, easy to add a tank!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was thinking of going twin on the viair. I need to be able to move the compressor from vehicle to vehicle depending whats on.the Silverstone one is just not as modular as the viair or arb. I do suppose you could mount the compressor and tank separately.
Stu

Stu, your a big lad and the silverstone compressor has a handle on it! no heavier than your wallet! 7kg :icon-rolleyes:

Last edited:
Its not that i want to use it on something else. Not just the cruiser.;)

err they were twin 400c i think. Plumbed independently into the tank.

As well as flow rates it's worth looking at the different duty cycles for the compressors as well. Also consider the mounting location in your truck, my FZJ in Oz has the compressor mounted in the engine bay with the tank underneath. The downside to this is that the compressor is already hot from the engine heat, so when reinflating all four tyres it'll reach it's thermal cut out before the job is done (this was in 40+ temps and with a hot motor too, so would be slightly less of an issue in the UK).

I bought an ARB twin pump, it's mounted very neatly under the drivers seat with a 2 gal tank on the floor behind the passenger seat. It fills the tank in approx. 1.5 mins. Got it from the USA all in cost was about £400 IIRC.

Last edited:
Just got twin viair 480c cant wait for them to turn up. Now I need some ideas of where to mount.
I am thinking in behind the os rear panel in the boot. I could cut out the pocket out ?
What size cable to run as i always run tp thick stuff.
I will run a tank aswell.
Stu

Stu, all depends on length of course but they pull about 40 amps on load. I messed around with cable sizes and you could actually hear the note of the pump change with the cable size. Looking at the charts you are into 10 - 16mm cable if you supply them twinned.

Back